Albino is a town with 17800 inhabitants and it's 12 km from Bergamo. It's 347 meters above the sea level and it includes 9 fractions: Albino, Abbazia, Bondo Petello, Casale, Comenduno, Desenzano, Dossello, Fiobbio, Vall'Alta. TERRITORY The village is situated on the right of the river Serio, with the fractions of Comenduno and Desenzano al Serio located north of the same main town. On the opposite side of the Seriana Valley, there is Lujo Valley. In this valley, there are a lot of fractions like Vall'Alta, Fiobbio, Abbazia, Dossello and Casale. Albino
ART Albino was a roman settlement and among the most important findings of the XVII century, we have the grave stele of Ilario Furio with old decorations. Now, it's in a parish church of Bergamo. In the historical centre and in different fractions, there are numerous detached houses and palaces built by the richest families of the area. The most interesting are: Solari's house in Monsignor Carrara street and Spini Guffanti's house in Carnovali's square, with frescos painted by Giovan Battista Moroni. Moroni's house at Bondo Petello is also very interesting. The original structure is intact; besides, there is also a peasant lodge with a tombstone edificated in memory of the biggest artist born in 1525. The town is full of historical MONUMENTS and the most important are: San Giuliano's church: The parish church of the chief town, which is dedicated to St Giuliano, dates back to 898. It was reconstructed in neoclassic style in the XIX century and it has a lot of valuable paintings of Giovan Battista Moroni and Enea Salmeggia. The bell tower dates back to 1497 and it was edificated by Fanzago.
<ul><li>The townhall: </li></ul><ul><li>The townhall is a new building, but some people don't like it because it doesn't suit the antique style of the town. Inside it, there is the statue of an important painter called Giovan Battista Moroni . </li></ul> <ul><li>Mazzini street: </li></ul>Mazzini street is the most important street of Albino. In Mazzini street there are a lot of important monuments of the 3rd and 4th century and interesting paintings and decorated courtyards. Forthermore, there is St Anna's church which was a private school. In Mazzini street there are also some very beautiful, fashion shops.
Gazzaniga Gazzaniga is a little village and it s located in the middle of the Seriana Valley at just 18 km from Bergamo (the big town). Near this village crossed by the river Serio there are three fractions: Rova, Orezzo and Masserini and there are 5000 inhabitants. The most characteristic and historical places are: the old street called in dialect Ela and the S. Ippolito church. Furthermore, not far from Gazzaniga there is a very little fraction called S. Rocco. It’s very important above all for the little chapel in classical style, where there are precious painting and where people can celebrate marriages.
Villa di Serio A little of History… The name Villa di Serio comes from “Villa Ripae Serii”, that means the village situated on the bank of the river Serio. Villa di Serio was already populated in prehistoric times. It was occupied by the Lombard, who were our ancestors. In 774, Carlo Magno invaded the territory, and the village was expanded. Region Lombardy Inhabitants 6.427 Surface 4,56 km² Distance from Bergamo 7 km Altitude 275 m above sea level Patron Saint St. Stephen Puclic Holiday 26 December
The curch of San Stephen was built by Luca Luchini, in the middle of the XVII century, in Baroque style. Inside there are many frescoes of the XVI century. It is very beautiful. Next to it, there is also the chapel of San Lorenzo. Other important buildings are: Villa Carrara and the Sanctuary of the Holy Mry of the good advice. VILLA CARRARA Sports… Villa di Serio is also village which is very active in sports, in fact there is a football team, a basketball team and a volleyball team. There is also a big gym, where you can do a lot of sports like bowling, athletics and kick boxing. Other sports practiced are: cycling, hunting, and freeclimbing.
Cene The origin of the name Cene derives from the latin Caenum, that means “mud”, because in this place the water of the river Serio stagnated. Cene is an italian town with 4.143 inhabitants in the province of Bergamo in Lombardy. Geographically it's situated on the left of the river Serio, in the Seriana valley at the mouth of the Rossa valley and at the feet of the Altino mountain; it’s 17 km from Bergamo. The village is formed by the union of two ancient suburbs called “Cene di Sopra” and “Cene di sotto” (existing since 1035), separated by the stream Doppia.
There are also two suburbs: “Monte Bò” and “Valle Rossa”. For those who love sports there is, along the river, a cycling area. This cycling area Links a lot of villages of the seriana valley like Comenduno, alzano, nembro as far as Clusone in the upper part of the valley. concerning THE HISTORY… In 1965 in the territory of Cene thanks to a landslide in the north of the village, the priest Antonio Canova discovered a layer rich of fossils of just a few centimetres. In this place, were found fish and shellfish fossils, but also some flying reptiles (Pterosauro). The presence of some sea-fossils testify that in this area once there was the sea, but the presence of some flying reptiles points out that near this place there were also some emerged lands.
Furthermore there are also four churches, the most important one is S.Zenone’s church, that is situated in the centre of the village, built on the foundations of an old building of the 1700. Other quite known historical sites are the “Torre del Mazzo” in via Bellora. Its foundations that were built by the Romans in the XII century and the ancient wash-house located in via Bernardo Fanti.
Gandino The territory Gandino is a municipatly in the province of Bergamo in the italian region of Lombardy, located about 70Km north est of Milan and about 20 Km of Bergamo. Candino contains the fractions of Barzizza and Cirano. It has a population of 5651 inhabitants and a surface ofv 29.1 square kilometres. It lies between 425 and 1637 metres above the sea level. S. Giovanni Bosco churc leisure centre Was built between 1905 and 1906. After the fire of 28th February 2000, the church leisure centre has been rebuilt, and now it's a place where the teenagers love meeting, watching film in the new cinema, playing football in the new synthetic footbal field, and having a great fun together.
The basilica Built in 1300, the Basilica of Saint Maria Assunta is the most important masterpiece of the village: it's uge, imposing and magestic. The building contein ten altars, a lot of preciousespictures, frescoes, a very ancient organ, colums and paviment in valuable marbles. Sky diving club For people who love extreme sports, on the Farno mountains (in Gandino), there is a sky diving club, where you can learn to doing in security this adventurous sport with qualified experts. This club is one of the most beautiful of the north Italy!
The basilica's museum It's situated in "emancipazione square" in Gandino. It was inaugurated on 15th December 1929, and it's one of the most important museum of theSeriana valley, it has a lot of works of art and in 1963 it was widened and renovated because it wasn't big enough to contain all of these masterpieces. The museum is so well known that in 2000 it was visited by more than 6000 tourists. In this museum there are three parts: <ul><li>The sacral art museum , known especially for the silver altar. Infact, six times a year, this is rebuilt and used in the Basilica for some importants celebrations. </li></ul><ul><li>The nativity scenes museum which is the most interesting part, because there are more than 280 nativity scenes from all over the world, made of very strange materials. </li></ul><ul><li>The textile art museum , where we can see the different ways wool was worked. </li></ul>
Pradalunga Pradalunga is a small village of about 4500 inhabitants and it’s about 15 kilometers far from Bergamo, in the Seriana Valley. It’s 350 meters above sea level and there’s also a small fraction named Cornale in the south of the village. In Pradalunga there are lots of characteristic places and ancient buildings, such as the houses of the old village that were built in the Fifteenth century, with river pebbles and are still inhabited.
The castellana (in the old village) The village is famous throughout Italy because there is the Museum of coti stones and the caves from which they have been extracted since ancient times. The coti stones had already been used in Ancient Roman Era to sharpen cutting tools like sickles and swords and they were exported by the inhabitants of Pradalunga all over Europe, especially in the Nineteenth century.
The coti stones We can find some interesting and ancient buildings also in the fraction of Cornale, for example the nice church dedicated to Saints Fermo and Rustico. It was built in the Seventeenth century in the North of the village; initially it was dedicated to Saint Lucia and it’s still used to celebrate marriages, even if there’s a new and wide church in the village, now. The small Church of Cornale is known for its perfect sculptures and magnificent paintings that have been partially removed and transported to the new church. The small Church of Saints Fermo and Rustico In the area of Pradalunga and Cornale it’s possible to go on enchanting naturalistic hikes on the hills and in the mountains or along the Serio river that flows in the south of the two villages. You can also visit some small churches that were built in the mountains, such as Forcella Sanctuary in Pradalunga or Saint Maria of Misma in Cornale. These churches were involved in many historical events, like the events of The Second World War.
Nembro ( from latin language “Nembrum”) is an Italian small town in the province of Bergamo, in Lombardy; it’s about 9 km from Bergamo; it has 11.612 inhabitants and it’s situated on the right bank of the river Serio, in the Seriana valley. Nembro FRACTIONS In the Nembro area there are a lot of fractions. The main ones are: GAVARNO: situated in the Gavarnia valley where the Gaverina stream flows on the left bank of the river Serio. VIANA: an area south of Nembro, near the village of Alzano Lombardo. LONNO: it’s a very small area in the mountains that has had a recent building development and it’s having a demographic increase.
ATTRACTIONS St. Martin’s church was built in 1424 and completely renovated from 1752 to 1777; it’s the biggest church in the diocese of Bergamo and it has 25 masterpieces. St. Martin was a bishop and a confessor that went to Bergamo from Tours in France for helping poor people. He’s still venerated as a saint by the Catholic, Orthodox and Coptic Church. His father was an important official of the Roman’s Empire and he gave him the name Martin in honor of Mars that was the god of war. Martin converted to christianity and became monk in the French region of Poitiers.
LIBRARY Nembro’s library was built in 1897 and it was a school, but for many years it was inhabited. Since 2007 it’s one of the biggest and most modern libraries of Lombardy. There are more than 67.000 books and it’s open from Monday to Saturday almost all the day. It’s a wonderful place because, there, you can relax , read a book or a magazine , watch a film, listen to music, surf the net and if you are thirsty or hungry you can have a snack too. There is also a children room, where parents can bring their little sons who can play and enjoy spending time all together.