LAB OVERVIEW: Density
• The Earth is
on the basis
What is Density?
• Density is described as the amount of matter
within a given amount of volume.
• Simply, it’s the amount of molecules in a given
amount of space.
• As a result, substances with a higher density will
settle to the bottom and substances with lower
density will rise.
• The size of the substance will NOT affect
a) Cold water/air b) Warm water/air
• Pick up worksheet and calculator.
• Answer questions.
How do we find the density of a
1. You need to know the MASS.
-simply use a scale or triple beam balance to
obtain its mass (in grams).
•Can’t use the volume formula (no edges)…
•Can’t use the displacement technique….
First find the MASS:
Find the mass of the container = “a”
Fill container with water and obtain the mass of both = “b”
Find mass of JUST WATER = “b” – “a”
Now let’s find the VOLUME:
Simply find the volume of the container.
Use density formula: D = mass/volume
• Today, you will be finding the DENSITY OF
2. A block of wood
3. A rock called granite (a rock that makes up
the Earth’s continental crust)
4. A rock called basalt (a rock that makes up
the Earth’s oceanic crust)
5. 5 minerals: pyrite, galena, quartz, fluorite,