What is Marketing Concept?
•Marketing Concept recognizes that Organizations thrive from
day to day by determining the current needs and wants more
effectively and efficiently than the competition.
•The Focus is on NOW!!
•This year’s sales growth, profit growth, giving customers what
they want now etc.
A Simple Model of the Marketing Process:
Why marketing is considered bad in
• Marketing’s Impact on Individual Consumers:
– High Prices: Modern Marketing system drives the costs
Higher than they normally would because of three factors:
High Cost of Distribution, High Advertising and Promotion
Cost, Excessive markup (Coke Bottle)
– Deceptive Practices: Deceptive Pricing, Promotion and
– High Pressure Selling: It is often said that insurance, real
estate and cars are sold not bought.
– Shoddy Harmful and Unsafe products: Fast Food chains.
– Planned Obsolescence: Electronic goods
– Poor service to Disadvantaged Customer
Why marketing is considered bad in
the society Contd…
• Marketing’s Impact on Society as a Whole
– False wants and Too much Materialism: Promotion of love
affair with Possessions. “Greed is Good” “Shop till You
Drop” “Uski Car Meri se Badi Kaise”
– Too Few Social Goods: Promoting car sales (Private Good)
requires more highways, trafic control, parking(Public
Good). But overselling results in Social Costs. E.g. traffic
congestion, fuel shortage and Air pollution.
– Cultural Pollutions: Messages of Sex, Power and status
keeps on pounding our heads.
Too many Trees are being cut and replaced by
concrete Jungles, more automobiles->more CO2,
More purchasing Power-> More demand on
resources and the Loop goes on
• The dangers to the environmental balance and ecology
and consumers health has made marketers think about
the new role that marketing firms need to play.
• They Need to market “ Environmentally Safe” Products.
• AMA calls this new concept “Green Marketing”
• Green Marketing believes in balancing environmental
issues with customer needs.
• It incorporates broad range of activities, including new
product development, product modification, changes
to the production process, packaging changes and
Five rules of Green Marketing
1. Consumers must be aware and concerned about the
issues that the marketer’s product professes to address.
(CFC free AC)
2. Consumers have to feel that they will make a difference by
using the marketer’s product. (BEE Energy Saver
3. They have to believe your claim. The products should be
open for scrutiny. (BEE Label for all)
4. The product has to work. (The detergent that claims to
remove all stains)
5. If a marketer is charging a premium then consumer has to
feel that its worth it. (Orchid Hotels uses water cons,
Sawdust hangers, reusable laundry bags).
One step further…” Sustainability”
• Environmentalists go one step further and discuss the
concept of “ Sustainability”.
• It is the responsibility of this generation to preserve the
environment for the subsequent generations.
• Marketers, therefore should also understand their
responsibility and do their bit in sustaining the
• Sustainable marketing calls for meeting the present
needs of the consumers and businesses while
preserving or enhancing the ability of future
generations to meet their needs.
Different Marketing concept’s
• Marketing Concept: Short
term oriented, not always
serves the future best
interests of consumers and
• Societal marketing concept
considers future welfare
• Strategic Planning considers
company’s future needs
• While Sustainable
Marketing takes care of
future needs of the
consumers as well as of
businesses.Need of Business
How is it Done?
• Green and sustainable marketing concept calls for
more responsible actions by Consumers as well as
• Business Actions towards Green Marketing:
– Innovative (Nintendo Wii)
– Sense of mission
– Societal marketing
• Consumer actions to promote Sustainable marketing:
– Consumerism (Improve the rights and powers of buyers in
relation to sellers)
– Environmentalism( To generate profit while helping to save
What Companies I do?
Eliminating or reducing waste
before it is created
New Clean Technology:
Developing new sets of
environmental skills and
impact throughout the entire
Creating a strategic
framework for the future
What Can I do?
• More sustainable lifestyle
– Organic Food
– Less consumerist lifestyle
– Concerned about waste and sewage disposal
– Concerned about my energy needs
– Smart Living spaces
– Water Conservation