Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Fisheries and other alternative livelihood options in the rural areas

361 views

Published on

a small portion of the chapter rural development in economics theory grade 11 cbse
fisheries and other alternative livelihood options

Published in: Economy & Finance
  • Login to see the comments

  • Be the first to like this

Fisheries and other alternative livelihood options in the rural areas

  1. 1. • Marine and freshwater catch fishing combined with aquaculture fish farming is a rapidly growing industry in India. • Integral and life-giving source of the fishing community. • Fish production - increased more than tenfold since its independence in 1947. • Major supplier of fish in the world. • 2008 - sixth largest producer of marine and freshwater capture fisheries, and the second largest aquaculture farmed fish producer in the world. • Special efforts - to promote extensive and intensive
  2. 2. • Employing over 14 million people. • Fish products from India are well received by almost half of world's countries, creating export-driven employment opportunities in India, greater food security for the world. • In 2006 India exported > 600,000 metric tons of fish - 90 countries-earnings >$1.8 billion. • Fish production from inland sources - 61%, remaining 39% - marine sector (sea and oceans) of total fish production. • Value of fish and processed fish exports: increased from less than 1% (1960) to 3.6% (1993) (of the total production). • Total fish production - 0.7% of the total GDP of India • Major producers of marine products - Kerala, Gujarat,
  3. 3. • During the past decades the Indian fisheries and aquaculture has witnessed improvements in craft, tackle and farming methods. • Creation of required harvest and post-harvest infrastructure has been receiving due attention of the central and state governments. • All this has been inducing a steady growth. • In 1990 1.7m full-time fishermen, 1.3m part-time fishermen, 2.3m occasional fishermen- many of whom worked as salt makers, ferrymen, or seamen, or operated boats for hire.
  4. 4. • A large share of fishworker families are poor. • Major problems the fishing community : Rampant underemployment, low per capita earnings, absence of mobility of labour to other sectors, high rate of illiteracy,  indebtedness. • Even though women are not involved in active fishing, about 60% of he workers in export marketing 40% in internal marketing are women • There is a need to increase credit facilities though
  5. 5. • Important programs for the welfare of traditional fishermen are: Group insurance scheme for active fishermen Development of model fishermen villages Saving-cum-relief scheme Saving-cum-component financial assistance is provided to the fishermen during the lean fishing season. About 3.5 lakh fishermen were assisted under the saving-cum- relief program in 2008-2009.
  6. 6. Intensive aquaculture in ponds and tanks Enhancing productivity from reservoir fisheries Brackish-water coastal aquaculture Mariculture Sea ranching Seaweed cultivation Infrastructure for post-harvest programmes Fish dressing centres and solar drying fish Domestic marketing
  7. 7. • It plays a critical role in attaining sustainable development. • It helps in achieving food security by weather forecasting. • Helps in disseminating information regarding emerging technologies, weather and soil conditions for growing different crops, etc. • Acts as tool for identifying the creative potential and knowledge rooted in people. • Generates employment opportunities in the backward areas via developing ‘info kiosk’ in rural areas. • Ensures that their products find right kind of markets and reach these markets in minimum time without number of middle men

×