WHAT SHOULD MY TREATMENT
PART 1 .
Your treatment should result in a multi media presentation that
outlines the following;
1. A Working title and log line
2. Introduction to key characters
3. Who, what, when, why and where
4. Act 1 in one to three paragraphs. Set the scene, dramatise the
main conflicts. The setup
5. Act 2 in two to six paragraphs. Should dramatise how the
conflicts introduced in Acts 1 lead to a crisis. The conflict.
6. Act 3 in one to three paragraphs. Dramatise the final conflict
and resolution. The resolution.
7. Where your inspiration has come from (analytical and technical
reference to movies and film genres).
Wh a t s h o u l d my t r e a tme n t i n c l u d e ?
P a r t 1 .
First you must write down as many ideas as you can for your
next big blockbuster. You can get inspiration from anything
from newspaper to TV shows or perhaps you can base your
film on a true story.
Once you have your big idea, present it to a producer. A
producer is always looking out for good story ideas. They
know what the target audience is looking for in a movie.
You know you have to sell your ideas to producers. You
must persuade them and convince them of your big idea so
you can get funding to make your film.
T i t l e a n d L o g
L i n e
The title should make it clear what
genre your movie will be.
Example: Die Hard, Love Actually
A Log Line is an extremely
condensed synopsis of your
movie - something that would
appear in a TV Guide description.
No more than three sentences. It
needs to GRAB your attention.
1. A logline keeps you focused
as you write
2. You need a log line to sell
SPEED ( 1 9 9 4 )
AN LAPD COP DISCOVERS A
PSYCHOPATHIC CRIMINAL HAS
PLANTED A BOMB ON A CROWDED
BUS, PRIMED TO GO OF F I F THE
VEHICLE DROPS BELOW 50MPH. HE
BOARDS THE VEHICLE AND HELPS THE
HAPLESS PASSENGER WHO HAS BEEN
FORCED TO TAKE THE WHEEL TO
KEEP A CONSTANT SPEED TO AVOID A
DISASTER. ACT ION THRI L LER,
STARRING KEANU REEVES, SANDRA
BULLOCK, DENNIS HOPPER AND JEFF
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL ( 2 0 0 8 )
THE AL L -SINGING, AL L -DANCING
STUDENTS EAGERLY LOOK FORWARD
TO GRADUAT ING FROM HIGH SCHOOL .
BUT FOR BASKETBAL L PLAYER TROY
AND HIS BRAINY GIRL FRIEND
GABRIELLA, THE CELEBRATION I S A
BI T TERSWEET ONE AS THEY PREPARE
TO HEAD OF F TO DI F FERENT
COLLEGES AND LIVE SEPARATE
L IVES. TEEN MUSICAL SEQUEL ,
STARRING ZAC EFRON, VANESSA
HUDGENS AND ASHLEY TISDALE
I n t r o d u c t i o n / A c t 1
• Introduce the main characters
• Establish the primary environments
• Convey a distinct mood or atmosphere
• Establish the time period
• Illustrate a routine or way of life
• Provide any relevant back story (events that transpired
before the story began).
• Introduce the antagonist
HOW DO I PRESENT MY PI TCH?
1. Ensure that all content for the pitch is in appropriately
• Treatment and Inspirations
• Promotional items
2. Link all of the content together in a prezi ready to pitch
your idea to the class. This will be filmed and the .mov
should go into a blog post titled Pitch.
3. Gather all feedback from peers and teachers and
suggest in a post titled ‘pitch feedback’ how you will alter
your ideas and why.