• The original list of world wonders was created by tourists in Ancient Greece.• They chose only 7 wonders to be on the list because the number 7 had special meaning for them.It represented perfection and plenty.
An Ancient Tour Guide• The Ancient Greeks visited places mostly located along the eastern Mediterranean border.• The 7 sites on the original list of wonders were the most popular among them.• This list is known as the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
1. The Great Pyramid of Giza• Located in Giza, Egypt• Built from 2560–2540 BCE• It is believed the pyramid was built as a tomb for the fourth dynasty Egyptian pharaoh and was constructed over a 20 year period.
2. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon• Built in 605-562 BCE• Built by King Nebuchadnezzar II for his homesick wife• The only one of the Wonders that may have been purely legendary
3. Statue of Zeus at Olympia• Was Located in Olympia, Greece• Built in 435 BCE• 12 Meters Tall• Destroyed by fire nearly 500 CE
4. Temple of Artemis at Ephesus• Was located in Turkey• Built about 550 BCE• Took 120 years to build• Dedicated to Greek goddess Artemis• Destroyed and rebuilt 3 times
5. The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus• Was located in Turkey• Tomb of Mausolus• Built in 351 BCE• Destroyed by flood, rebuilt, destroyed by earthquake, rebuilt and disassembled by invaders
6. The Colossus of Rhodes• Built in 280 BCE• Located in Greece• Giant statue of Helios (god of the sun)• 115 – 135 meters tall• Destroyed in 226 CE by Earthquake
7. The Lighthouse of Alexandria• Built in 280 BCE• Located in Egypt on Pharos Island• (Pharos became the Latin word for lighthouse)• Destroyed about 1303 CE by earthquake
• In 2001 an initiative was started by the Swiss corporation New7Wonders Foundation to choose the new 7 wonders from a selection of 200 existing monuments. The results:• Great Wall of China, Petra, Christ the Redeemer, Machu Picchu, Chichen Itza, Colosseum and Taj Mahal.