Competitive marketing campaigns are rich with opportunity but also fraught with peril. So how do you exploit the opportunity while leaving the peril behind? Here are five criteria that indicate a competitive marketing program has a good chance of success:
1. You competitor is better known.
2. You have an identified differentiation.
3. You make it easy to switch.
4. There is a precipitous event.
5. Your offer is compelling.
A highly targeted approach to competitive marketing usually works better than broad-based general advertising.