Please remain silent and be
The presentation will
start in :
GROUP F: GEO THERMAL ENERGY
MAHA SABIH LEADER
SUBATA SIDDIQUI PRESENTER
TASKEEN FATIMA RESEARCHER
MARYAM ABID MEDIA CO-ORDINATOR
MAHNOOR ANIS TIME KEEPER
The geothermal energy of the
Earth's crust originates from the original
formation of the planet and from radioactive
decay of minerals.
TODAY THIS ENERGY IS USED FOR ELECTRICITY
Geo thermal energy is particularly found near,
VOLCANOS (Chagai Volcanic Arc)
Places where there is heavy chance of
earthquakes due to TECTONIC PLATE
MOVEMENT (Himalayan Ranges + Indus Zone)
Pakistan is energy deficient and has to rely heavily on imports of hydrocarbon
products to satisfy the need.
It can improve the life of people living in rural areas, thereby reducing the
1. There’s a significant cost saving as geothermal energy generally involves low
running cost as no fuel is used to generate the power. Thus, costs for
purchasing , transporting and cleaning up the plant is low .
2. Dependence on fossil fuels decreases with the increase in the use of
geothermal energy since no fuel is used to generate the power thus saving
80% cost over fossil fuels.
3. No Pollution ;Geothermal systems do not create any pollution as it releases
some gases from deep within the earth which are not very harmful to the
environment. Moreover ,Being a renewable energy source, it has helped in
reducing global warming and pollution.
4. Geo-Thermal energy can be used directly for heating homes and offices. This
makes it cheaper and affordable.
5. Job Creation and Economic Benefits: Government of various countries are
investing hugely in the creation of geothermal energy which has
created employment oppurtunities for the
1. 1) Not a Widespread Source of Energy: Since this type of energy is not widely used
therefore the unavailability of equipment, staff, infrastructure, and training pose
hindrance to the installation of geothermal plants across the globe. Lack of skilled
manpower and availability of suitable build location pose serious problem in adopting
geothermal energy globally.
2. 2)High installation cost, as it requires installation of power plants, hiring of certified
installers and skilled staff. Moreover, electricity towers, and stations need to set up to
move the power from geothermal plant to the consumer. All this requires huge
3. 3)Can run out of steam due to the drop in temperature or if too much water is injected
to cool the rocks and may result in huge losses for the company
4. 4)Only suited to particular regions (regions with hot rocks below Earth)
5. 5)These sites may contain poisonous gases- which could be harmful for the workers.
6. 6)Transportation is not easy and the extracted energy can only be used in the