Why are these sites selected for the installation/what is the feasibility of
developing these sites as power resources?
• In Pakistan about 70% of the population lives in some 50000 villages
dispersed around the country. Many of these village are far away from
transmission lines of the national Grid.
• Pakistan has hot springs in its hilly regions which are potential sources of
the cheapest and the least polluting source of energy.
• Pakistan seems to have geothermal potential because a plate margin
passes through Pakistan and it lies in an earthquake zone
• In Baluchistan, there are as many as 80 mud volcano's the result of
scarcity of underground water and abundance of lava and hot rock close
to the surface
• According to an Geotectonic framework survey conducted by United
Nations and Italian Experts, Pakistan has a potential of commercially
exploitable sources of Geothermal energy in the Himalaya region and
Chagai area in Balochistan Plateau.
Why is it necessary to develop this particular source of energy in
1. It is a renewable source of energy.
2. By far, it is non-polluting and environment friendly.
3. There is no wastage or generation of by-products.
4. Geothermal energy can be used directly. In ancient times, people used
this source of energy for heating homes, cooking, etc.
5. Maintenance cost of geothermal power plants is very less.
6. Geothermal power plants don't occupy too much space and thus help
in protecting natural environment.
7. Unlike solar energy, it is not dependent on the weather conditions.
What are the hindrances/difficulties in the development of the assigned
power resources? (Disadvantages)
1. Only few sites have the potential of Geothermal Energy.
2. Most of the sites, where geothermal energy is produced, are far from
markets or cities, where it needs to be consumed.
3. Total generation potential of this source is too small.
4. There is always a danger of eruption of volcano.
5. Installation cost of steam power plant is very high.
6. There is no guarantee that the amount of energy which is produced will
justify the capital expenditure and operations costs.
7. It may release some harmful, poisonous gases that can escape through
the holes drilled during construction.
Future prospects/proposed sites
• The future sites for the new sites are the Plant to be made in
Himalaya region and in chaghai region.
• Along with that it is proposed that Pakistan have a great reserves of
Geothermal energy and if developed shortage of electricity would end
but the cost of making is too great.
• There are places like salt range, manghopir area, gilgit area where the
plants could be setup.