Biomass is obtained from any plant, animal or human derived organic matter.
• Wood from trees, agricultural waste, wood factory waste and the construction
• Burnt wood from fossil fires.
• Animals and its droppings.
• Pakistan is a thickly populated country. The overall population of Pakistan is
about 173.593 million.
• Out of which 66% people live in rural areas and 34% live in urban areas.
• The wasted generated by this huge population is also in a very large amount.
• About 54,888 tons of waste is generated daily.
• Approximately 225,000 tons of crop residues and over 1 million tons of animal
manure are produced daily.
• Biomass and waste to energy plants conserve fossil fuels by generating
electricity. one ton of MSW combusted reduces oil use by about 45 gallons; or
coal use by about 0.28 tons.
• It has been estimated that one ton of MSW combusted rather than land filled
reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 1.2 tons of carbon dioxide.
• Biomass and waste to energy plants do not have the aqueous emissions that
may be experienced in landfills, either now or in the distant future.
• Biomass and waste to energy plants save the space required for land filling.
• Biomass/Waste to Energy projects have the benefits over conventional
energy resources projects that they do not emit any effluents, pollutants and
residues. These are considered to be most environmental friendly
technologies which are very much supportive in reducing emissions and
developing healthy environment. All over the world, renewable energy
• projects have been implemented to avoid dependency over the conventional
resources which have been a source of effluent emissions and endangering
the environment. The international organizations and institutes including
financing organization have been encouraging such projects which utilize
renewable energy technologies for the generation of power.
• Cost of construction of biogas plant is high, so only rich people can use it.
• Continuous supply of biomass is required to generate biomass energy.
• Some people don’t like to cook food on biogas produced from sewage waste.
• Biogas plant requires space and produces dirty smell.
• Due to improper construction many biogas plants are working inefficiently.
• It is difficult to store biogas in cylinders.
• Transportation of biogas through pipe over long distances is difficult.
• Many easily grown grains like corn, wheat are being used to make ethanol. This
can have bad consequences if too much of food crop is diverted for use as fuel.
• Crops which are used to produce biomass energy are seasonal and are not
available over whole year.
• 12 MW Biomass to Energy Power Plant at Jhang, Punjab.
• 12 MW Biomass to Energy Power Plant at MirwahGorchani Town,
• LoI issued to Pak Ethanol (Pvt) Ltd. For Setting Up to 09 MW Biogas
Power Plant at Pak Ethanol, Matli, Sindh.
• LoI Issued to M/S Biomass Power Generation Ltd for Setting Up 12 MW
Biomass to Energy Project at Faisalabad, Punjab.
• LoI Issued to M/S Greensure Environmental Solutions (Pvt) Ltd for
Setting Up 12 MW Waste to Energy Project at Mardan, Khyber