BRIEF CAN MAKE IT OR BREAK IT…
Hang him, not let him go
Hang him not, let him go
WE CAN AVOID ALL THESE…
HAVE A STRUCTURED APPROACH
What is Creative Brief ?
• A creative brief is a one-page document that puts in writing all
the key information you want the creatives to know before
working on the creative campaign
• It is the bridge that connects strategic thinking and creative
execution and is the key tool with which the account managers
can unlock the imagination of creative people and give them a
direction for execution
• It is the first ad of the campaign
• Coined in 1863
• For Abraham Lincoln’s speech for the dedication of the new
Soldiers National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
What is it’s Role ?
• To Liberate the creative process. Not control.
• To provide a springboard for ideation
• Inform. Interest. Persuade. Guide.Inspire.
Elements of Creative Brief
• What is the problem of the client that we need
• What do we want to achieve as a result of
"The purpose of this campaign is to position ElectroQuick as a less
expensive, equally effective alternative to BigBrand."
"The purpose of this campaign is to raise awareness, generate blogger
buzz, and create excitement for the client's new ElectroQuick by
positioning the client as a leader in innovative global technology with a
uniquely humanistic yet professional and sophisticated brand image
that compares favorably to BigBrand."
• What is the one thing that you want to convey?
“Throw someone a tennis ball and he will catch it.
Throw five and he’ll drop them all.”
We are no. 2, we try harder.
Just Do it.
Healthy Home Paints
At 60 miles an hour the loudest noise
in this new Rolls-Royce comes from
the electric clock’
• Who are we trying to influence?
• What He / She would be doing right now?
• What is their Behavior towards the Brand, Category ?
Nerolac Home Painting Solutions
Mr. Nayak, a Investment Banker lives in South Delhi
with his wife and two kids. He is a busy man with high
disposable income whose parents are based out of
Pune. He care about his parents and does whatever he
can to make their life comfortable and pleasant
• It is an intrinsic need, desire or a hidden truth of the
consumers which is not obvious and helps understand their
• "Insight" can be derived from classical market research
understanding or from psychological knowledge about
emotions and behaviour in relation to the brand.
“Wives and Girlfriends are more likely to buy men’s body
wash than men”
• Brand Guidelines to be followed
For ICICI Bank Mailer
Logo on the top right
Zurich BT / Arial font
Orange, Maroon, Blue, Grey, White only to be used
ICICI Bank Template
Terms & Conditions
Clean Shaven faces of models to be used
Letter format for the content
Complete image, no cut outs
How should it be ?
If the creative brief is not itself creative, if it does not suggest
solutions to problems, present information in an expansive
and interesting way, and interpret that information with
imagination and flair, then its authors and presenters have
no right to expect anything different from their
Creative & Brief
Single Minded Proposition (SMP)
Inclusion of Facts & Figures
Brief in person
One size fits all
Should not be like a filled form
Technology Driven, Code crunched
A list a statistics