Standard Base Speciﬁcations
The Hyper-Sub is both a high-speed surface craft and a deep dive submarine capable of WOT (wide open throttle)
surface speeds of 35 mph and depths in excess of 1200 feet.
Designed to displace the ROV and Mother-ship approach to subsea pipeline inspection and maintenance, Hyper-
Sub eliminates the massive capital and operating costs historically associated with that conventional model.
Combined with its surface range of 500 nautical miles, open sea autonomy and rough sea safety characteristics,
the ability to recharge its own diving systems and its 6000-pound payload capacity, safety and speed to mission
are now routine. Clearly those operating without these beneﬁts are at a severe disadvantage.
Hyper-Sub is a modular system. With the power plant, dive systems and surface planing vessel independent from
the pressure hull, the package repurposing to mission speciﬁc roles becomes a matter of swapping out
components. Decouple one and replace it with another. This mission-switching ability means Hyper-Sub can be
working pipeline inspections one day and harbor security, customs and marine patrol the next day just by switching
This adds up to more uptime, faster onsite arrival and lower costs for the user.
General Dimensions and Speciﬁcations
Parameter Speciﬁcation (English) Speciﬁcation (Metric)
Dry Weight 30,000 lbs 13,608 kg
Overall Length (LOA) 45’ 2” 14 meters
Transportation Width 14’ 6” 4 meters
Beam (With standard side tank modules installed) 16’ 6” 5 meters
Transportation Height (keel to top of cabin) 7’ 10” 2 meters
Overall Height (with arch installed) 9’ 6” 3 meters
Surface Craft Speciﬁcations
• Boat hull: V-hull with ﬁberglass construction
• Upper body works: ﬁberglass
• Engines: 2 - 480-hp YanmarTM 6LY3-ETP diesel with V-drives
• Planing speed achieved: 8 seconds
• Transmissions / Ratio: ZF/2.5:1
• Props: 24x31 4-blade, no-cup Michigan WheelTM
Surface Performance Characteristics
Parameter Speciﬁcations (English) Speciﬁcations (Metric)
Draft 3ʼ 10” 1 meter
Fuel Capacity 525 Gal 1,987 liters
Cruise Speed 30 mph (@ 3,000 RPM- min cargo) 48 kph (26 knots)
Fuel Consumption 34 gal per hr. 127 liters per hr.
WOT* 35 mph 57 kph (31 knots)
* Wide Open Throttle
Submerged Performance/ Characteristics
• Submerged Propulsion: two (2) 60 hp 12” InnerspaceTM thrusters/ electric over hydraulic
• Submerged (non propulsion) bottom time for a crew of two (2): 96 hours
• Normal life-support endurance: 12 hours per passenger
• Emergency life-support: 48 hours per passenger
• Station Keeping: two (2) 10 hp InnerspaceTM thrusters
Submerged Performance / Characteristics
Parameter Speciﬁcation (English) Speciﬁcation (Metric)
Maximum Dive Depth (Steel Cabin) 1,200 feet 366 meters (200 fathoms)
Underwater Lift Capacity 6 Tons 5 Metric Tonnes
Multiple Dive Submerged Distance 600 miles per 250 gallons of fuel 966 km per 946 liters of fuel used
Utilizing Surface Recharge Capability used to recharge systems to recharge systems
Variable Ballast Tank Capacity 186 ft3 (12,000 lbs variable 5 m3 (5,443 kg variable submerged
submerged lift) lift)
Submerge Distance Per Surface 115 miles @ 2 mph 185 km @ 4 kph
Recharge if Using a 136kWh battery 100 nautical miles @ (2 knots)
Note: The submerged battery performance is based on a 136 kWh “optional” payload, the price of which is not included in any
general pricing discussion. Please request a separate quote for batteries once ﬁnal “use applications” have been determined.
Standard battery load is noted in the yellow hi-lighted column on the following chart.
Battery Payload Options
As you will see from the following chart, a very wide range of battery loads can be incorporated into the ﬁnal
outﬁtting of a Hyper-Sub.
PLEASE NOTE: for each single kWh of battery installed, 11 lbs of the vessels standard variable payload
capacity is consumed. For example, nearly all of the crafts variable payload capacity is consumed with the
544 kWh battery option and therefore, Marion Hyper-Sub strongly recommends having a full understanding of
both the mission requirements and the mission tactics a Hyper-Sub can incorporate prior to selecting the ﬁnal
battery payload. This will help to avoid unnecessary performance and variable payload availability degradation.
Battery Subsurface Speed Range Estimates And Battery Load
Battery Load 22.8 kWh 68 kWh 136 kWh 272 kWh 544 kWh
Weight or Payload 1,000 lbs 495 lbs 990 lbs 1,980 lbs 3,960 lbs
AGM only (Lith.) (Lith) (Lith) (Lith)
REMAINING PAYLOAD 5,000 lbs 5,505 lbs 5,010 lbs 4,020 lbs 2,040 lbs
Performance @ 1.4 28 nm 83.4 nm 166.8 nm 333.6 nm 667 nm
knots 20 hrs. 59.6 hrs. 119.2 hrs. 238.4 hrs 476 hrs
Performance @ 2.0 15.24 nm 45.5 nm 91 nm 182 nm 364 nm
knots 8 hrs. 24 hrs. 48 hrs. 96 hrs. 192 hrs.
Performance @ 3.0 6 nm 18 nm 36 nm 12 72 nm 144 nm
knots 2 hrs. 6 hrs. hrs. 24 hrs. 48 hrs.
Performance @ 3.7 3.7 nm 11.1 nm 22.2 nm 44.4 nm 88 nm
knots 1 hr. 3 hrs 6 hrs. 12 hrs. 24 hrs.
Performance @ 4.4 2.2 nm 6.5 nm 13 nm 26 nm 52 nm
knots 30 min. 1.5 hrs 3 hrs. 6 hrs 8 hrs.
Performance @ 4.9 1.67 nm 4.9 nm 9.8 nm 19.6 nm 39.2 nm
knots 20 min. 1 hr 2 hrs. 4 hrs 8 hrs.
Performance @ 5.7 .9 nm 2.8 nm 5.7 nm 11.4 nm 22.8 nm
knots 10 min 30 min 1 hr. 2 hrs 4 hrs.
• Standard cabin construction material: Steel (1,200 foot depth capacity)
• Cabin type: dry / one atmosphere pressure hull
• Safety Classiﬁcation: American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) +A1 Manned Submersible and United States
Coast Guard certiﬁed
• Pressure hull diameter (ID): 4’ ( 1 meter)
• Overall length: 18’ (6 meters)
• View: forward hemispherical view port
• Internal Environment: Climate controlled
• Seating and space accommodations: 1 pilot plus 200 cubic feet (6 3 m) available for multiple seating
arrangements or other uses
Note: The term “one atmosphere” or “pressure hull” refers to a cabin that maintains an internal atmosphere at sea level pressure
regardless of changes in depth. The passengers or crew are not exposed to pressure regardless of changes in depth. This is
referred to as “1 atmosphere pressure”.
GPS, Chart Plotting, Radar, Forward and Downward Sensing Sonar, Autopilot, gyro compass, digital depth gauge,
air system pressure gauges, engine tachometers, oil pressure, temperature and fuel gages, VHF radio, underwater
telephone, atmospheric monitors (H2, O2, CO2), ballast level indicators, pitch and role inclinometers, engine
compartment status indicators, battery compartment water and pressure sensors, battery voltmeters for both 96V
and 12V battery banks, and two input screens of underwater camera video.
• All systems and designs certiﬁed by the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) +A1 Manned Submersible
and United States Coast Guard
• Three independent methods of surfacing: Normal operating system surfacing, Emergency drop tray
surfacing (3,000 lbs/1361 kg) and Controlled Dead Systems Submerged Recoverability (boat can surface
with all primary air, electrical and hydraulic systems shut down in a controlled fashion)
• Passive safety characteristics such as Hyper-ballast compartmentalization (8 separate compartments)
retaining over 30,000 lbs (1,361 kg) of total reserve submerged lift for rapid accents in the event of event
the most severe emergencies
• Sufﬁcient reserve air to blow MBT’s 2 times @ 500’ (152 m) depth using standard air loads
• Submerged EPERB and VHF antennae deployment location and communications capability
• Atmospheric monitoring system Various (H2, O2 & CO2), Life support (CO2) Maintained at less than 0.5
%, Life support (O2) Maintained between 19-22 %
• Emergency life-support: 48 hours per passenger
• Emergency re-breathers: (1) per crew-member
• Safe Escape smoke hoods: (1) per passenger
• Life jackets: (1) per passenger
• Emergency drinking water, lifeboat rations, waste & CO2 removal equipment
• Dual frequency underwater telephone
• Robustness of cabin (with integral integrity to withstand pressures at depth) protect crew from wave action
during surface operations in rough seas
• Very low center of gravity for surface craft stability in rough seas
• Fire extinguishing systems: Engine compartment / Halon auto dump
• Surface navigation lights (x 6) 12 Volts/25 Watts each
Standard System Features
• Variable Cargo Capacity: 6,000lbs (2,722 kg)
• Standard Dive Air Storage: 4,000 std. cu. ft. @ 4500 psi (SCBA air rated)
• Dive Air Recharge time: 20 minute (base per dive) plus 10 minutes per 33 feet depth achieved
• Battery Recharge Time: 60 minutes from full discharge to 80% capacity for 4 AGM-type battery banks
storing 26 kWh (270 Ah @ 96 VDC)
• Electrical system: 96 VDC and 12 VDC
• SCBA air umbilical for prolonged diver support
• SCUBA tank recharge capability
• A/C Power Inverter
• Rear and side deck space for Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) deployment, cargo or other purposes
• Photonics periscope mast for surface reconnaissance while submerged
• Batteries (see Battery Payload Options page 5)
• Supplemental fuel pods
• Acrylic cabin available with 180 degree panoramic view rated to 500 (152.4 m) foot depth capability
• Boat hull and upper body works construction materials: Aluminum, carbon ﬁber or use of improved bullet
• Submerged egress capability for crew
• Marine Sanitation Device (MSD)
• Engine snorkel for semi-submerged propulsion
• Multiple manipulator arms, lifting devices and sensors available for subsea work
• Larger side tank modules for greater subsea lifting capability, fuel loads, storage etc.
• Additional systems and sensor packages are easily accommodated
• Submerged anchoring for static station keeping (conserves batteries for prolonged needs)
• Side viewports (18” (.46 m) diameter)
• Cabin space: In addition to the standard space required for the pilot, the remaining 200 cubic feet (5.66
m3) of space can be used for many purposes in including (but not limited to):
Carrying 200 cubic feet of supplies and / or gear OR…
Seating for 9 personnel (if utilizing military style seating arrangement) OR…
Seating for a co-pilot (or operations ofﬁcer) while dedicating the remainder of the space for an
alternating sleeping birth and marine sanitation device OR…
Arrange seating for spacious / luxury accommodations (4 passengers / two couples) OR…
Additional work stations or other uses
NB: All speciﬁcations subject to change without notice.
PO BOX 1731, Lake City FL 32056 +1 (386) 755-2040 email@example.com