Montreal Solution Group for Business Owners
AGILE STRATEGIC PLANNING
• INTRODUCTION •
• Meetup by Frederic Moreau, PÖL Digital• August 20, 2014 •
• 20’ - Introducing
•What are we talking about?
•What do we mean by agility?
• The Agile Strategic Planning methodology
• 40’ - Sharing
TO BEGIN WITH…
THE LAST THING YOU NEED TO START A BUSINESS
IS A BUSINESS PLAN
• Pros: « You're two and a half times more likely to get into business
(if you have one) » - Clemson University entrepreneurship professor William B. Gartner
• Cons: business planning is often time consuming, costly and
inadequate in a fast changing environment.
IN A VUCA ENVIRONMENT, THERE IS A NEED TO
CHANGE THE WAY WE DO THINGS
The nature and dynamics of change, and the nature and speed
of change forces and change catalysts.
the Issues that Shape Conditions
The lack of predictability, the prospects for surprise, and the
sense of awareness and understanding of issues and events.
The multiplex of forces, the confounding of issues and the
chaos and confusion that surround an organization.
The haziness of reality, the potential for misreads, and the
mixed meanings of conditions; cause-and-effect confusion.
the Consequences of Issues and Actions
the Interdependence of Variables
for Alternative Realities and Challenges
and Address Relevant Opportunities
LEAN APPROACHES HAVE EMERGED
TO HELP SHAPE BUSINESSES
Porter’s 5 forces
(Mickael Porter) Business Model Generation
(Alex Osterwalder )
Lean Startup machine
BUT NONE PROVIDE THE KEY COMPONENTS OF A
THE BUSINESS MODEL AND THE DIRECTION WHERE TO
DRIVE THE BUSINESS
(THE VEHICLE & THE JOURNEY)
SO THE POINT WAS TO DELIVER THIS VALUE TO
CLIENTS MUCH FASTER, AT A MUCH LOWER COST,
AND WITH THE CAPACITY TO ADJUST PLANS QUICKLY
THE SOLUTION CAME FROM TURNING STRATEGIC
PLANNING METHODOLOGIES INTO AGILE
• Reducing design time frame from 1 to 3 months to 1 to 3 days
• Reducing cost from $15,000 — $30,000 to $1,800 — $3,200
• Agility is the dynamic capacity to sense, anticipate, respond intelligently and act
quickly and smoothly, in a coordinated way to a change in the environment.
THE AGILE TRINITY
How do we make it happen?
Do we deliver value?
Where do we go?
• AGILE STRATEGIC PLANNING •
THE MODEL SUGGESTS THAT THERE ARE 3 POSSIBLE
BUSINESS STRATEGIES, AND THEY ARE INCREMENTAL
• To Master = to do things right
• To Adapt = to change what needs to
be changed to remain aligned with your
internal and external environment
• To Innovate = to create a solution
to resolve a market pain or to seize a new
opportunity that arise on the market
THE AGILE STRATEGIC PLANNING
THE ASP MODEL TRANSLATES INTO 4 TEMPLATES
1/4• BUSINESS FOOTPRINT
THE 3-STEP PROCESS IS ITERATIVE WITH THE
OBJECTIVE TO ALIGN TEMPLATES
1 2 3
YOUR STRATEGIC PLAN BECOMES A 4 PAGES DASHBOARD
THAT CAN EASILY BE SHARED, AND UPDATED
Your business project & model Your environment analysis Your strategies & key actions Your financial plan
THE AGILE STRATEGIC PLANNING METHODOLOGY
IS BEING USED IN 3 WAYS
• Free business diagnostic - online email based www.poldigital.com
and envision a wish for your business. It will launch the process
• Individual client workshops
• Collective workshop gathering different companies or startups
HOW DO YOU PLAN YOUR
•Which framework do you use?
• How satisfied are you with the execution
40’ round table discussion
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE?
• Frederic Moreau, PÖL Digital
StationC, Suite 204, 5605 de Gaspé, Montréal, QC, Canada
Cell. 514 503-3357 - firstname.lastname@example.org
• Stay up to date with PÖL
Twitter : @polstories
LinkedIn : linkedin.com/company/p-l-digital
Facebook : facebook.com/poldigital