• Can integrate other Web2.0 programs easily e.g. Glogster, Prezi, VoiceThread etc.• Online. Meaning that it can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection.• Allows for communication between the student and his teacher or peers.• Customisable to suit an individuals personality.• Reverse chronologically ordered content. Newest posts will always be at the top.• Categorising posts means content will always be organised.Why use a blog?
• Keep a record of their work and track growth over the year or years• Display all of their school work including drafts• Have a “Showcase” section to celebrate their successes• Reflect on their learning development – self assessment• Allow teachers and students to share communication about ideas and assignments• Provide a vehicle for reflection and progression of learning at P&T interviews• Allow students to invite other SJC students to view and even comment on their work• Know how to create blogs and respond to blogs• Develop skills in online behaviourWhy do students need aneFolio?
• All the student’s teachers are to be made co-administrators of the blog• Teachers have the ability to vet comments• Other students can only be allowed to view blogs if invited by the owner of the blog• Students are to be given formal time to upload files to the blog and to maintain the blog• Teachers need to include time to comment on blogs as part of their class work• The student’s parents will have access via the student’s username and passwordGuidelines for eFolios
• Students use a template to ensure all blogs have same basic structure. • An introductory post to their eFolio blog • Categories • Pages (About Me, Goals, Tutorials) • Guidelines • Basic themeHow will the eFolio blogbe structured?
• All the student’s teachers are to be made co- administrators of the blog• Teachers have the ability to vet comments• Other SJC students can only be allowed to view blogs if invited by the owner of the blog• The student’s parents (use son’s login)Who will have access tothe student’s eFolio blog?
• Privacy issues • These eFolios are the same as work handed into the teacher and therefore deserve to be treated in the same manner • Students can invite other students to comment on work if they wish • Teachers need to operate as Adult administrators • Parents should have access to all work done by their sons • Parents would also have access to blogs that can be seen by the student so this would need to be made clear to the student(s)Why restrict access?
• 2012 • Yr7 Pilot• 2013 • Yr8 • Yr9 (new campus and curriculum structure) • Yrs10, 11, 12?• 2014 • Yrs10, 11, 12?Which Year levels?
• Science• RE• Any other interested KLA’sWhich KLA’s?
• Start of year PD • General PD • HeuX • SIMON Upgrade • Specific PD • eFolios (Yr7 HR Teachers?) • subject specific eTexts • Presentation tools• Later Term 1 • General PD • eSmart • SIMON Content Management • SIMON Parent Access ModuleHow will PD be organised?
• Time will be needed for students: • Students setting up blogs • Adding posts • Uploading info • Commenting• Time will be needed for teachers: • Reviewing student blogs • Commenting • Monitoring commentsHow will it fit into thecurrent curriculum time?
• Should it be assessed?• Some assignments could be done within the blog and assessed from within the blog.• S/N with comments?How will it be assessed?
QUESTION TIMEAre there any other questions that you may have?