Extensive Livestock in Eastern
13th June 2016
PAEPARD (Platform for African European Partnership in
Agricultural Research for Development)
• PAEPARD is a platform of information sharing on
knowledge, funding opportunities etc.
• The information on opportunities has opened up
mindset of farmers and researchers to develop
competitive proposals and submit them to donors.
• PAEPARD has opened up the mindset of researchers
and non-researchers to work together as equal
partners in ARD agenda;
THE ULP PROCESS
that on any other
This has impacted
are leading the
ULP that include
researchers in the
Outcomes from ULP
• For the first time, farmers have been in the competition with researchers because
they have built their capacity. The exercise is so far successful with:
• Partnership linkages between EU-Kenya and EAFF that bore another project
dubbed food governance.
• Demonstrated ability to work in partnerships has led to EAFF engaging in a project
dubbed MUIIS for Euro 800k (Uganda)
• EAFF has just signed a contract of funding (200,000 €) with a Germany partner
(MRI-BLE) that associates KALRO (Kenya Research Institute) to conduct a research
• Through PAEPARD, Regional Farmers Organizations (EAFF, PROPAC, ROPPA) have
been organizing national and regional dialogues to engage policy-makers in the
ARD processes around some themes like Extensive livestock, urban agriculture,
rice etc. researchers and other stakeholders are involved in those dialogues.
• Farmer led Engagement at EU level to discuss issues on aflatoxin
• Consultations with AUIBAR on livestock proposals
• Partnership with IGAD and slotted some finances for regional farmer organizations
• Development in collaboration with partners the aflatoxin policy brief.
• 2 IF concept notes funded approximately each Euro
• Development of 2 proposals submitted to
development partners on issues around Aflatoxin
• Development of joint proposal with German
Institution MRI on aflatoxin (project funded Euro
200,000) for one year. On partnership linkages and
Outcomes from Incentive Fund
Outcomes from communication and
• Skills on development of ARD proposals that has
multi stakeholder partnership. From such skills we
are able to run multi stakeholder partnership
projects e.g. MUIIS, develop bankable proposals.
• Show case project (PAEPARD) in various forums e.g.
GCARD 3 and AAIN
• Printing of visibility materials that communicate
about the project.
• Ability of EAFF secretariat staff to report on behalf of
other WP Partners.
In a nut shell
• PAEPARD has facilitated the application of demand-
driven research and is at the same time demystifying
science by acknowledging the role of indigenous
knowledge in the process.
This is very important!!