Although some form of sex education is part of the curriculum at many schools, it remains a controversial issue in several countries, particularly with regard to the age at which children should start receiving such education, the amount of detail which is revealed, and topics dealing with human sexuality and behavior (eg. safe sex practices and masturbation, and sexual ethics).
• Sex education
• Characteristics of a good sex education
• Current situation in Turkey
• What is to be done by school / family /
What is puberty?
• “Puberty” is the time where childhood
ends in which the body becomes
capable of reproduction.
• Hormones are released by the brain to
start puberty. (In boys, testosterone
and in girls estrogen are released.)
Girls start puberty at age 10-11, finish at age 15-17.
Boys start at age 11-12, finish 16-17.
Changes in girls
Changes in boys
Increased body hair
Pubic hair grows up toward naval
Mature genital organs
Body more muscular
• Sex education is a broad term used to describe
education about human sexual anatomy, sexual
reproduction, sexual intercourse, and other
aspects of human sexual behavior.
• Although some form of sex education is part of the
curriculum at many schools, it remains a
controversial issue in several countries.
Characteristics of Effective Sex Education
• focus on reducing one or more sexual behaviors
that lead to unintended pregnancy, STD/HIV
infection or other health-related risky behaviors.
• give a clear message about sexual activity and
condom or contraceptive use and continually
reinforce that message.
• include activities that address social pressures that
influence sexual behavior.
• provide basic, accurate information about the risks of
teen sexual activity and about methods of avoiding
intercourse or using protection against pregnancy and
• provide modeling of and practice with
communication, negotiation, and refusal skills.
• employ a variety of teaching methods designed to
involve the participants and have them personalize the
• incorporate behavioral goals, teaching methods,
and materials that are appropriate to the age,
sexual experience, and culture of the students.
• last a sufficient length of time to complete
important activities adequately.
• select teachers or peer leaders who believe in the
program they are implementing and provide them
SEXUALITY COUNSELING FOR ADOLESCENTS
• Adolescents are supposed to receive careful and complete
education about sexuality to practice healthy sexual
• Sexuality education classes have become a routine part of
junior high and high school curricula in many parts of the
ROLE OF THE COUNSELOR
• Counselors are in an ideal position to provide
comprehensive sexuality education to adolescents as part
of preventive health care with the help of pediatricians.
• Adolescents may ask questions, discuss potentially
embarrassing experiences, or explain some personal
information to the counselor.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR COUNSELING
• Sexuality education shouldn’t be restricted to high school
years, but it should be put into lifelong perspective.
• Parents should be encouraged to discuss sex-related issues
that are appropriate for the adolescent's developmental level
and to answer the adolescents’ questions fully and accurately.
• Counselor should obtain a comprehensive sexual history
from adolescents, including knowledge about sexuality,
sexual practices, partners and relationships, and sexual
• Counselor should counsel parents and adolescents about
circumstances that are associated with earlier sexual
• Both male and female adolescents should be
informed about the methods of birth control.
• Counselor should maintain nonjudgmental
attitudes towards bisexual and homosexual
adolescents and encourage them to be open about
their behaviors and feelings.
• Children who have been victims of physical or
sexual abuse or have witnessed sexual violence or
physical abuse should obtain counseling about
• Counselor can work with a pediatrician to develop
a comprehensive strategy to decrease the rates of
unsafe adolescent sexual behavior and adverse
• Appropriate materials could be provided in the
office of the counselor.
Ergenlerin Sağlık Bilincinin Geliştirilmesi Projesi”
CİNSELLİKLE İLGİLİ BİLGİ KAYNAKLARI:
Kentsel kesimde yapılan araştırmalarda lise
öğrencilerinin cinsellik ile ilgili bilgi kaynakları şu
(CETAD araştırma verilerine göre)
Current situation in Turkey
Sexuality Education for Children and Adolescents. (2001). Pediatrics, 108 (2), 498 -502. Retrieved May 20,
2014, from http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/108/2/498.full