Introduction: Electronics play a very important role in developing simple devices used for any purpose. The best achievement as well the future example of integrated electronics in the medical field is The Electronic skin. &lt;number&gt;
• Development of E-SKIN
• E-SKIN Features
• Structure of E-SKIN
• How display is converted into E-SKIN
• Advantages and Disadvantages
• Future scope
What is ELECTRONIC SKIN?
Material which mimics the Human Skin in one or more
Human skin can sense pressure , temperature , stretch and
can heal itself
Where it is used?
DEVELOPMENT OF E-SKIN
Attaching nanowire transistors to sticky substrate, embedded in thin pressure
sensitive rubber-capable of sensing wide range of pressures(California University)
First prototype for e-skin
Stretchable solar cell used to power the electronic skin(Stanford)
Self healing capacity
Made by plastic and nickel
Created an electronic skin that lights up when touched (UC Berkeley)
• Optimization of pressure sensors & Electronic read out-but no
Human Readable output.
• The new e-skin: Spatially map the applied pressure and
instantaneous visual response through OLED.
• BUILT IN ACTIVE ORGANIC LED DISPLAY: OLEDs are turned on
locally where the surface is touched and the intensity of the
emitted light quantifies the magnitude of the applied pressure.
• System on plastic Demonstration 1.Thin film Transistor
• Can measure electrical activity of the heart ,brainwaves &
other vital signs.
• It can record electrical activity along the scalp.
• Muscle contractions in the neck can control the mouse in a
How Visual response is achieved?
• Grid of vertical and
• Each pixel is controlled by
an intersection of 2 wires
• Color and brightness is
altered by changing
• Each pixel is controlled by TFT
thin film transistors
• Act as switch for addressing
either voltage or current devices
• TFTs contains Semiconductor
enriched nanotubes as the
• Carbon nanotubes-High current
drives for OLEDs
Structure of pixel of e-skin
• Nanotube TFT drain
connected to anode of
• OLED: Bi-layer structure
whose color controlled by
emissive layer material.
• PSR: Electrical contact with
cathode of OLED.
• Conductivity of PSR α
• Led whose electroluminescent layer is organic compound.
• Low power consumption, Faster refresh rate
• Better contrast
• Greater contrast, Brightness.
• Better durability-Better temperature range.
• By simply changing emissive layer the emitted peak
wavelength can be adjusted to 489,523,562,601 nm.
How to control OLED
Control circuit: By interconnecting the anode of an OLED with
carbon nanotube TFT.
By sweeping the gate voltage/Power supply Vdd of the
control TFT, the current flowing through OLED can be
controlled which translates in to the modulation of OLED
brightness allowing the OLEDs to be turned ON and OFF.
• We can arrange above described single pixel OLED control
circuitry in to an active matrix OLED which then integrated
with pressure sensor to get e skin.
• Above figure represents Single color flexible AMOLED
display with -5 and 10 v applied to all of the scan and data
The above figure shows full color display being fully
turned on in the relaxed and bent states.
Each pixel can be individually addressed using nanotube
How to convert display in to e-skin
• PSR lamination on the top of the leads to make
• The cathode of each OLED is connected to the
ground through PSR. Application of pressure:
shortening of tunneling path between conductive
carbon nano particles-reduced resistance of PSR
modulates the current flowing through the OLEDs
and changes the brightness of the output.
Advantages & Disadvantages
• Reduces wires.
• Compact in size, less in weight.
• The device is so floppy, and flexible.
• Cost is high
• Single use
• Automatic control panel
• Interactive input devices
• Medical & Health monitoring device
• In future even virtual screens may be placed
on the device for knowing our body functions.
• The Electronic devices gain more demand in
the market when they are compact in size and
best at functioning.
• The Electronic skin is one such device which
depicts the beauty of electronics and its use in