By Francesca, Giulia, Sofia, Rocco.
Rimini is a small province in Emilia Romagna and was founded as a Roman colony in 268 B.C.
with the name of “Ariminum".
The colony was a sort of autonomous republic, allied with Rome, but without Roman citizenship.
The structure of the city has a checkerboard layout with the main street, the cardo,
which crosses the decumanus perpendicularly.
The Roman emperors commissioned monuments such as the Augustus Arch,
the Tiberius Bridge and the amphitheater.
The Arch of Augustus was erected in 27 BC. both as an urban gate and as a triumphal arch
in honor of Augustus to celebrate the restoration of the Via Flaminia at the point where it ended.
The Tiberius Bridge was built in 21 A.D. and it consists of five arches of different width.
It is one of the most important and best preserved Roman bridges in the world.
Corso d'Augusto is historically the most important and prestigious street of Rimini.
It was called “the main road”.
The Galli Theatre is the Municipal Theatre of Rimini, whose construction began in 1843 and was inaugurated on August 16, 1857.
Between the years 1916 - 1923 the building was damaged by an earthquake and was closed.
On 28th December 1943, during an air raid, the Theatre was hit by bombs that caused the collapse of the roof of the hall.
In the immediate aftermath of the war the theatre was occupied by the military.
In 1947 the Theatre, semi-destroyed, was dedicated to the musician Amintore Galli, famous composer.
The restoration work ended in 2015 and now the theater is used for various events.
Rimini is located in the southern part of the region Emilia-Romagna, between the Adriatic Sea and the rolling hills of the Apennines,
where, just 20 km far away, stands Mount Titano with the Republic of San Marino.
The secret of its success is the friendliness, the hospitality of its inhabitants and a territory famous for its 15 km of beach,
230 colourful bathing establishments, over 1000 hotels and amusement parks, but also for its 2000 years of history and art.
Castel Sismondo takes its name from its patron
Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta,
the ruler of Rimini and Fano. The original structure was
embellished and defended by walls and a moat, which
made the castle a real fortress. It was built in 1437, in a
period of great prosperity for the Malatestas.
This is the Cathedral of Rimini. Part of the marble for the work was taken from Roman ruins in San
Apollinare in Classe and from Fano. Despite the relatively modest size of the church, it was already used
in 1312 as the burial place of the Malatesta family.It was then enriched by altars and works of art like