WHAT IS STUCCO?
• Stucco is a material made of an aggregate, a binder,
and water. Stucco is applied wet and hardens to a
very dense solid. It is used as decorative coating for
walls and ceilings. Stucco may be used to cover less
visually appealing construction materials such as
concrete, block, or clay brick and adobe.
TOOLS USED IN STUCCO WORK
• Hawk-The hawk is the palette or square with which you hold
• Trowel- the trowel is what you use to apply the plaster on the
First you place the felt, (black paper), then the wire lath, then the corner beads
on corners and around doors and windows.
WHAT IS “LATH”?
• Lath is a wire mesh, typically with a paper
backing, that is applied to a wood or metal
framework as matrix over which stucco is
How to Install Stucco:
Using a trowel, held at a 45
degree angle, apply the
base coat Stucco using
ﬁrm pressure to force the
Stucco into the lath.
FIRST LAYER OF STUCCO:
• Scratch Coat.The purpose of the
ﬁrst base coat, the scratch coat, is to
embed the metal lath and provide a
base for the skim coat.The scratch
coat gets its name from the fact that
it is physically scratched with
horizontal marks.These scratches
create texture, so that the skim coat
can stick to it.
HOWTHE SCRATCH COAT IS
• Once a full coat of stucco is
applied, use a broom to
SCRATCH COAT AROUND WINDOW
• Corner Bead Around the window:
• Putting scratch coat around the window.
THE SECOND COAT:
• Skim Coat. The Skim Coat
is used to ﬁnish the wall, so
that it is smooth, and even.
THE FINAL COAT:
• Texture Coat. This coat is
optional, depending on the
desired look.The texture
coat adds texture and