Planning a music video.
• To build up my skills in the lead up to creating my
own music video I am going to look at shot for
shot a music video the R&B genre. The song I
have chosen to look at is “-”Lemar – If she Knew”.
The reason I chose this song is because the video
is fairly simple so I can look at the shots carefully
in detail. I'm planning to do the first 35 seconds
of the video which consists of the star singing
while he is sat down. I will also look at the special
effects and mise en scene.
I have made a list of all the shots in the music video with a brief description.
1. 0-2 – Mid shot of lemar lying down on the floor from crane shot, zoom in. Fade
2. 3-5 – Fade in, lemar on the floor from a side angle then fade out to black.
3. 6-8 – same shot as the first however angle is a but higher.
4. 8-10- back to second shot, soul lifts up, fade out.
5. 10-11 – tracking shot of eyes, close up, camera tilts up as he looks up.
6. 12-13 – low angle mid shot of lemar looking down at the camera. (chair
introduced from 14 onwards.)
7. 14-16 – mid shot from side of body
8. 16-18 – long shot of lemar sitting down
9. 18-20 – same shot as 14-16 but the camera is a bit further to the right.
10. 20-21 – long shot from the side of the chair
11. 22-24 – same shot as 20-21 but camera pans to the right as he is singing.
12. 24-26 – same shot of 16-18
13. 26-28 – same shot as 20-21
14. 28-30 – same shot as 16-18
15. 31 – mid shot of him on the chair
16. 31-32 – side shot – extreme close up face palm.
17. 32-34 – fade cut into close up
18. 34-35 – same shot as 31.
Here I have put together the shots in order of how they
were filmed rather than how they appear in the final
edit, so I know how these videos are filmed which would
be different to how they look in the final edit. As you can
see in this video the camera men have filmed lemar in
the same position all the way through the video and
have done this numerous amount’s of times in different
positions and then in the editing process the editors
have merged this together to make it interesting instead
of the same angle all the way through.
The mise en scene in the video is stereotypical to the r&b
genre. For example the lighting fluctuates between high
key and low key. Costumes are stereotypical for the star
as he is dressed in a leather jacket to bring star appeal to
the video and making him look cool. A variety of angles
are used and there is a vast amount of close ups of the
star which is a key element in Steve Archers theory.
Special effects are also used for example the soul coming
out of lemar’s body and the smoke at the start of the
video. The props used are limited with only a chair at the
start of the video. Facial expressions used are confused
and emotional which is common to express the stars
feeling as the song is about love.