Our neighbor to the north• Capital city Ottawa, Ontario• Largest city Toronto, Ontario• Official languages English and French• Government Federal parliamentary and democracy and constitutional monarchy• Monarch Queen Elizabeth II• Governor General Michaëlle Jean• Prime Minister Steven Harper
Jacques Cartier: JacquesCartier sailed into the Gulf ofSt. Lawrence in 1534 andclaimed the country for theKing of France. The next yearhe came up to an island and theIndian village called Stadeconaon the site of Quebec. We aretold that the Indian chiefDonnacona spoke of Stadeconaas Kanata, meaning a collectionof houses. Cartier understoodthis to be the name of thedistrict and this is how theword Canada came to beknown.Prince Edward Island Public Archives
Samuel de Champlain landed 27 colonists (andhimself) at Quebec in 1608.
Assemblée Nationale• Parliament buildings of the province of Québec• Built in 1886• The architect, Eugène-Étienne Taché, was inspired by the Louvre Museum in Paris.
The Citadel was built 1820-1831 by the British to protect thecity from potential attack from the St. Lawrence River belowto the south and from the Plains of Abraham immediately to the west. The British left the fort in 1871, and later the fort served as headquarters for an artillery school of the Canadian Armed Forces. During WWI, it became the headquarters of the Royal 22nd Regiment.
Anyone who has ever visited the Quebec City Citadelis familiar with the billy goat mascot of the Royal 22ndRegiment. His popularity is about to grow amonghockey fans as the official emblem and sweater designof the American Hockey League member club, theCitadelles
View from the Citadelle. In the distance is Château Frontenac
Since the 17th century, Artillery Park has played animportant role in defending Québec. In 1959, theHistoric Sites and Monuments Board of Canadarecognized the national historic significance of thepark and its military installations, which were anintegral part of the citys defensive system.
Located near St. JohnGate, in the very heart ofOld Québec, this sitebears witness to over 250years of history. Today,you can discover one byone its unique buildingsand other installationsthat reflect the militaryand industrial history ofQuébec.
Upper Town• is located on top of the Cap-Diamant, a promontory (a point of high land jutting out over the water) 98 metres high
Château Frontenac• The most photographed hotel in the world. • The hotel was built in the late 19th century by William van Horne, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, as one of a series of grand hotels across the country. • The hotel was designed by New York architect Bruce Price, and opened in 1893.
The 605 guestrooms are ofvarying sizes andconfiguration, butall are luxuriouslyappointed andmany offerincredible viewsover the StLawrence River.
Lower Town• Access by the funicular• Escaliers casse-cou• Winding stairs, side-walk
This historicrailway makesthe 210-foot tripfrom the DufferinTerrace to theLower Town at a45 degree angle.
Church Notre Dame des Victoires • Located in the Place Royale district. • The original church on this site was completed in in 1723, but was rebuilt and renovated frequently since then.• In 1929, the building was one of the first designated as a historical monument by the Québec government,• and in 1967 the building was restored to the original style.
Montmorency Falls • Where the Montmorency River meets the St. Lawrence, 10km east of Québec City • the water first has to fall over a cliff at the edge of the Canadian Shield.• The 76m cascade is 22m higher than the falls at Niagara. • The river was named by Champlain in 1613 after Henri II, duc de Montmorency, governor of Languedoc and admiral of France, who served as viceroy of New France from 1620 to 1625.• In July 1759, British forces established a fortified camp at the base of the falls in their campaign to capture French territory.
Ste Anne de Beaupré • This popular pilgrimage church attracts more than a million visitors every year.• The first chapel on the site built in 1658 was destroyed by tides, and was rebuilt in 1661 further up the slope.• It was rebuilt again in 1676, and again in 1872. • After the destruction by fire in 1922, the church was rebuilt again in 1926 as the present Roman-style basilica
Québec Bridge• Work first started in 1900. On 29 August 1907• when the bridge was almost complete, the southern section of the bridge fell almost 50 metres into the water below and killed seventy-five workers. The disaster was blamed on a faulty design.• Work on the bridge continued nevertheless, but on 11 September 1916, as the center section of the bridge was being hoisted into place, it fell into the river, killing thirteen workers• The Quebec Bridge was finally opened on 22 August 1919 by the Prince of Wales Edward VIII.• It is the longest cantilever bridge in the world.