Aurora place is a landmark mixed use development situated in the core of Sydney’s Central Business District on the site of the former State Office Block.
Macquarie Street is also the location of Parliament House, the State Library of New South Wales, Sydney Mint and the Reserve Bank of Australia. Part of the street is adjacent to the Royal Botanic Gardens, which is the location of Government House and the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. The term "Macquarie Street" is also used as a reference to various aspects of the NSW Government.
not only rational, but poetic thought to the construction of buildings.
Each apartment runs the full storey width, giving vistas from the Royal Botanic Gardens to the centre of the city.
Technology draws only from its own reserves of physics and mechanics, while techne precedes practical knowledge and resides, in part, in poetics
beyond the external perimeter wall lines,…… otherwise each floor needed a centralised support system occupying valuable space within building
Renzo piano final es
Aurora Place, Sydney
Presented By :
Agresh Shrivastava 02
Kumar Snehansu 29
Designed by Renzo Piano.
Completed in December 2000
Comprises of a 44 level office tower
Comprises of 18 level residential building and
supporting retail facilities.
Site Area : 4,262 sq.m.
Bounded by Philip Street, Bent Street and Macquarie
Mixed- use development.
• Net lettable area of office tower : 49,500 sq.m
• Overall building height : 200m
• The residential building is known as Macquarie
• It comprises of 62 luxury residences, all of which
enjoy unobstructed views across the Royal Botanic
Gardens to Sydney Harbor and the Opera House.
• Renzo Piano was born in Genoa, Italy, on 14th
• Piano differentiates between himself and his
architect contemporaries by characterizing his
activity as a kind of scientific building.
• Renzo Piano Building Workshop (RPBW) -
light is an important theme
• aesthetic sense of lightness
• are deployed to make visible or “bring
forth” social, cultural and tectonic truths;
• to articulate a particular spatiality;
• to assemble transparencies and
• and to de-materialise substantive
• “Anyone can build using a lot of material…
Taking weight away from things, however,
teaches you to make the shape of structures
do the work, to understand the limits of
strength of components and to replace
rigidity with flexibility…”
• In 1996, in celebration of the
upcoming 2000 Olympic
Games in Sydney, Australia
• Involved de-building of NSW
State Office Block
• Consisted of a 31 storey
building, a 12 storey building
and a 9 storey building
• 98% of the base building
material was recycled.
Architectural influences of surrounding buildings
• Chifley Tower
• Sydney Opera House
• Governor Philip Tower
• east façade is having curved and twisted shape
• Twisted to answer the wind loads.
• corresponds spatially with Opera House.
• bulges out slightly from its base.
• reaching its maximum width at the top floors.
• The exterior glass
the main frame
• Counters wind
• Directly faces Opera house
• Tapered inwards-sunlight
• Tapered-wind loads.
• Fins-on canopy.
• Two buildings with a common square, & a glass roof.
• Lightweight cable and glass canopy.
• Shelter to passing pedestrians.
• construction activities exploited the permissible
area/height ratio in the best possible manner.
• “light angle( 43 °) ”
• “skin” is made up of a special screen-printed glass.
• cream-coloured ceramic particles.
• slightly curved, triangular “sail” glass extending up to 30m.
• Residents in the 15-storey Macquarie Apartments have 5
electronic horizontal glass louvers .
• to trap the warmth of the sun
• Each apartment runs the full storey width.
• Sensors to automatic closing during a storm.
• Rust-orange tiles on street level.
Light & Glass-Transparency
• glass undergoes a “… transition to nothing”
• intensity of the dot screen frit coating reducing towards the
• gradual dematerializing of the glazing
• ever decreasing means of support.
Three levels of basement were previously constructed
over the entire site, which was extended to 10m( two
Sandstone in foundation.
Columns have reinforced pad footings.
Max loads on columns=40,000kN (200 elephants).
10 permanent rock anchors are used.
Core frame model.
Central core is supported on a 1.5m thick continuous
Core projects 1.5m.
Reinforced and post-tensioned concrete.
Floor plates and columns- combined moment resisting
Each floor acts as support from toppling.
Active sprinkler system.
• The old building was
a loved icon.
• plan forms an oval-
• a highly irregular
• Intelligent and
"He brings to each project a great seriousness of
purpose, combined with a lyrical understanding of
materials - so that what emerges is an architecture of
extraordinary clarity and finesse."
“It is more common to conceal technology in a building
than to reveal it, and scant few who do reveal it do so
poetically. The technology that constitutes the
figurative aspect of the architecture at Aurora Place is
derived from construction, factory production and
engineering, three great form-giving agencies of
- Ar. Charles Correa, Pritzker Juror
Low response on street
“Form follows function” ?