SPECIAL PURPOSE VEHICLE
JAMA MASJID PRECINCT REDEVELOPMENT PLAN
Creation of an SPV for Jama Masjid Precinct Redevelopment Plan under the order of
Hon'ble High Court of Delhi
Vide order dated 17 November 2006, the Hon’ble High Court of Delhi directed as follows:
quot;The Nodal Officer as well as MCD are directed to work out the mechanism of SPV as
well as PPP as has been suggested in the draft plan for the implementations of
Redevelopment Plan.quot; ......
SPECIAL PURPOSE VEHICLE
The Special Purpose Vehicle is proposed to be a company registered under section 25 of
the Company's Act as in case of quot;Shahjahanabad Redevelopment Corporationquot; created by
Govt. of the NCT of Delhi. Its name will be quot;Jama Masjid Precinct Redevelopment
Corporationquot; with registered Office situated within the Union Territory of Delhi.
The proposed company incorporated U/s 25 of Companies Act 1956 which will be a
company limited by shares not for profit and classification of the company, shall be public
company as per the provisions of Section 2(35) & 3(1) (III) of the Companies Act 1956.
Its main and ancillary objectives will be as follows:
1. To ensure the implementation of the orders of Hon'ble High Court in WP(C) No
6846/2004 for redevelopment of Jama Masjid Precinct and its surrounding areas in true
spirit and time bound manner to restore its pristine glory
2. To dedicate sufficient annual budget for the conservation, preservation and restoration
work in Jama Masjid and other historical structures in the precinct to be undertaken
through Archaeological Survey of India
3. To ensure the utmost structural safety of Jama Masjid and other historical structures in
the precinct while undertaking any underground or over ground construction in the
precinct by adhering to the best available technical advice and adopting appropriate
technology. No compromise shall be made with regard to the structural safety of Jama
Masjid and the extent of the underground / over ground structures will be subject to the
safe distance from Jama Masjid.
4. To frame policy guidelines and formulate comprehensive redevelopment and
development plans for Jama Masjid Precinct comprising the area enclosed by peripheral
road, Urdu Bazaar Road, Kasturba Hospital Road, Parade ground Road and Subhash
Marg. The redevelopment plans will cover building, civic infrastructure & public utilities,
archaeology, conservation, restoration, tourism heritage, traffic, transportation, trade, art
& culture, religious and socio-economic aspects.
5. To frame policy guidelines and formulate comprehensive redevelopment and
development plans for the surrounding areas comprising buildings, roads, public
amenities and services and trade along Kasturba Hospital Road, Urdu Park Road,
Paiwalan Road, Parade Ground Road, Subhash Marg, Shanti Van Road, Ansari Road,
connected lanes to these roads and Parda Bagh. The redevelopment plans will cover
building, civic infrastructure & public utilities, archaeology, conservation, restoration,
tourism heritage, traffic, transportation, trade, art & culture, religious and socio-economic
6. To implement the redevelopment plan of the Jama Masjid Precinct and its surrounding
areas already submitted before the Hon'ble High Court and to the DUAC in December
2007 with improvements and modifications as proposed by DUAC, HCC, ASI, DDA and
other relevant authorities. The main components of submitted Redevelopment plan
being restoration of original ground level of Jama Masjid precinct, construction of a world
heritage centre, community facilities, new Meena Bazaar and Dargah Sheikh Kalimullah
complex, multi level car parking; recreation of exterior of all mosques, dargahs and
mazaars in the precinct; excavation and restoration of Akbara-abadi mosque; new traffic
plan at Parda bagh; redevelopment of Parda Bagh area with multi level car parking, new
Lehna Singh market and new Parda Bagh rehabilitation colony, new community centre,
new MCD's City Zone office and heritage and JMRP office and relocation of Petrol Pump
and Gas godowns; redevelopment of school on Paiwalan side; and redevelopment of
area around precinct.
7. To coordinate with all relevant agencies in the formulation and implementation of
development and redevelopment plans of Jama Masjid Precinct and its surrounding
8. To evolve & develop the basic redevelopment plan into such a form in terms of designs
and drawings, plans and documents as will best effectuate the objectives of the
redevelopment plan for its optimum utilization by its beneficiaries.
9. To select the best suitable architectural plans for the Jama Masjid Precinct and its
components through open world competition on approved conceptual redevelopment
plan by DUAC ensuring the best design.
10. To undertake the traffic management and utility diversion (OHTL, UG Cables and lines
etc.) during the execution and restoration/ relocation of the affected structures and
services during the execution.
11.To undertake overall supervision of all stages of execution and construction activities to
cause them proceed in such a manner that the relevant statutory provisions of the
applicable code including latest version of National Building Code of India are followed
and best construction practice adopted to deliver the objectives of the redevelopment
12. To undertake all such studies and investigations (like Geotechnical investigation) as may
be required during progressive elaboration of this redevelopment project to arrive at
feasible designs and details of each component of the Redevelopment Plan in
correlation with the similar project components executed elsewhere in India and abroad.
13.To set up a sound management infrastructure for the Jama Masjid Precinct
Redevelopment Corporation with dedicated cells for planning, design, construction etc.
Which will remain operative during the project.
14. To implement the redevelopment and development plans of Jama Masjid Precinct and
its surrounding areas by involving professional expert agencies with massive and
extensive track record of infrastructure projects on a Private Public Participation model
through transparent double bid global tendering process.
15. To implement the Redevelopment Plans of Jama Masjid Precinct and its surrounding
areas in a time bound manner by taking clearances/approval from all relevant agencies.
16. To ensure the proper security and upkeep of the Jama Masjid Precinct and its
surrounding areas so as to keep them free of all encroachments, unauthorized
occupation, unauthorized trade and unauthorized construction of any kind whatsoever.
17. To invite and appoint experts, academicians and consultants in any field required for the
effective implementation of the Redevelopment Plans.
18. To prepare and implement the socio-economic and trade plans for Jama Masjid Precinct
and its surrounding areas especially for promoting the traditional art & craft, trade and
tourism of the Walled City.
19. To establish and manage the heritage museum, art gallery, library, studios and
auditorium through professional expert agencies.
20. To plan, control and regulate all 'activities relating to building, construction, trade, land
and premises use in the Jama Masjid Precinct and its surrounding areas exercising
relevant powers under DMC Act.
21. To manage maintain and control the developed and redeveloped Jama Masjid Precinct
and its surrounding areas in perpetuity.
22. To prepare and implement the plans of excavation, conservation, preservation and
restoration of Akbar-Abadi Mosque through Archaeological Survey of India with best
experts and techniques
23. To create, manage and promote a web portal on lama Masjid and other heritage of
Shahjahanabad covering its art & culture, religion, history, education, research, trade
24. To advise and control the special area building regulations for Jama Masjid Precinct and
its surrounding areas.
25. To carry out any such work related to lama Masjid Precinct and its surrounding areas
directed by Hon'ble High Court.
26. To undertake and manage any such work or activity which is required for the furtherance
of objectives of developing and redeveloping the lama Masjid Precinct and its
27. To constitute an advisory committee of experts, scholars, professionals, representatives
of residents, trade and religious bodies and seek their regular advice and participation
for the Redevelopment and development of lama Masjid Precinct and its surrounding
28. To carry out complete documentation of the history, religion, restoration, development
and redevelopment of lama Masjid Precinct in print and audio-visual media for archival
purpose and diffusion of knowledge among public.
29. To assist in planning, preparation and implementation of the cultural and religious
festivals and functions being traditionally organized in lama Masjid Precinct and its
30. To assist, undertake and promote systematic research and academic studies on the art,
architecture, culture, heritage, community, sociological and urban issues of lama Masjid
area and Shahjahanabad.
1. To keep the public informed of Redevelopment and development activities through a
quarterly journal in print and digital media.
2. To review the policies and programmes relating to heritage and development of lama
Masjid Precinct and its surrounding areas.
3. To prepare and execute any plan or undertake any activity or project relating to the
archaeology, conservation, restoration, heritage and tourism plans for lama Masjid
Precinct and Shahjahanabad.
4. To assist and promote the artisans and craftsmen of traditional and heritage trade
around lama Masjid Precinct and Shahjahanabad
5. To carry out any activity in the field of art, culture, heritage, pilgrimage and tourism
required for the effective implementation of the Redevelopment Plans.
6. To undertake all activities relating to art & culture heritage and tourism related to Medieval
7. To promote heritage, heritage, art & culture of Medieval India especially from 10th
century to 19th century.
8. To conduct and promote research and studies on art & culture and heritage of Medieval
9. To prepare and implement the relocation of trade activities to promote heritage tourism
in Old Delhi.
10. To organize and promote activities, exhibitions, academic seminars and performances
related to art, culture, heritage and traditional trade of Shahjanabad.
11. To undertake and promote research, academic and tourism publications in the form of
print, audio-visual and electronic media on lama Masjid and associated heritage in
12. To prepare and publish catalogues of heritage activities and trade of Old Delhi.
13. To coordinate with agencies working for the heritage of Shahjahanabad.
14. To assist the scholars, researchers, agencies and voluntary organizations with project
resources for heritage work in Shahjahanabad.
15. To constitute committees to assist and promote management of heritage work of
Since it is a multi dimensional project with wide social, religious, and heritage implications
and for evolving consensus on major issues as per the directions of Hon'ble High Court and
advising on general and specific issues, an Advisory Committee comprising representations
from community, religion, heritage, academics, professions, trade, art and culture,
architecture etc. shall be constituted for advising the Board of Directors.