Digitization of film in NRK; Restauration, re-use of OL equipment | Britt Schibbye, NRK
DIGITIZATION OF FILM
-RESTAURATION , RE-USE OF OL EQUIPMENT
• The prosess started 1980’th copying tapes
• First 1’’B and then 2’’
• Digibeta for winter Olymics94 at Lillehammer.
• Re-use of Digibeta
• Videotapes copied to Digibeta
• Film scanned to Digibeta.
• Filmscanning project started in 1993
• 25000 hours
• 16mm, some 35mm
• Sound separate on16mm
• shrinking and dryness
• Vinegar syndrome
• Scanning project started with FDL90 and 60, and Pogle and
• The Telecine dept. scanned for re-use and archiving, besides
colorcorrection of new programs.
• Rigth temperature (6-8°C) and humidity (20-30%)
• Room for acclimatize (12-14°C)
• Seperate storage for film affected by vinegar syndrome
IN HOUSE DIGITIZATION
• URSA Diamond, Cintel Y-front (DaVinci)
• Memory, CTM Debrie (Colibri)
• Film cleaning: Ultraclean with HFE, Debrie
• Newselements are spliced in half hour reels and scanned.
• All shunts are checked and replaced.
• Scanned to digibeta
• From 2010 scanned to file in our
• News are cut in elements, and
connected to metadata from
our old arcivesystem.
• All news are prepared, latest 1982.
• 670 h left to scan.
Restoration group in A&R from 2010
Online service for our
• Efficient workflow
gives short dealine.
• Filmscanning for archive.