Adding a complete line of investment grade life insurance to your Aflac business can be the boost you need to revitalize your client base, provide more options (and reasons to visit with you), and produce extraordinary income from your hard fought accounts and clients.
For more information about adding the Freedom Equity Group retirement grade life insurance and annuity programs to your Aflac voluntary benefits, contact Mike Grigsby at (541) 610-6375. Mike is the expert on integrating other life products to your voluntary product lineup.
Adding FEG Indexed Universal Life Products to your Aflac Client Base
MONETIZING YOUR AFLAC CLIENT BASE
With Michael Grigsby,
Freedom Equity Group, Retirement Evangelist, District Manager
MONETIZING YOUR AFLAC CLIENT BASE
Here is what we will cover:
How did you get to where you are at with Aflac?
What does your client base symbolize to you?
Why did you offer Aflac?
Why you should care about their retirement
Who is Freedom Equity Group and what do we bring to your client
What is the opportunity to you?
What are your next steps?
A VIEW BACK
It was not an easy road to get where you are today
• How many doors did you knock on?
• How much internal fortitude did it take to get through your first few years?
• How many hours have you spent on claims, and time with clients?
Maybe you cut your insurance teeth with Aflac
• You put the time into training and webinars
• You learned the hard way how not to do things
• You put up with corporate idiosyncrasies.
It was a long road that brought you here
• Despite a new product now and then, it isn’t enough excitement for you
• It wasn’t enough excitement for your client base
• You need something different
• You could use a little more life and excitement in your business
WHAT GOOD IS YOUR CLIENT BASE?
It represents long term relationships
It represents a lot of personal
• Hard fought turn around situations
• Personal assurances and capital
• Your professional life
It represents trailing commissions
It is a base of trust that you can MONETIZE
WHY DID YOU OFFER AFLAC?
It is has national recognition, character, and integrity
The belief you are helping people every day to protect their income and
protect them from financial headaches in the event of an injury or
It is a fundamental leg in providing safe passage for families through
• Major illness
WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ABOUT RETIREMENT?
Many of your clients are on their way to retirement
76m Baby Boomers rushing to retirement: 10,000 every single DAY!
Surveys vary, but at least 75% are NOT prepared for retirement
• 36% say they don’t contribute anything to retirement In 1980, 39% of
Americans had private pension funds. Today: only 15%
• 30% of US investors have more than 80% of their money in 401ks.
• 35% of Americans over 65 survive entirely on Social Security payments
• 24% of Americans admit they have postponed retirement planning at least
once this last year.
• In this economy, 3 out of 4 Americans start claiming SS when they are 62.
• California has $325 BILLION in unfunded pension liabilities ($22k per
WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ABOUT RETIREMENT?
…on the way to retirement, continued…
• CA’s three largest pension funds are half a trillion short of meeting retiree
• Illinois teacher retirement system is 61% underfunded and on verge of
• 50 states collectively face $5.17 trillion in unfunded obligations and only
$1.94 trillion set aside for their retirees.
• In 2010, the SS system paid out more benefits than it received in payroll
• That wasn’t supposed to happen until 2016
• By 2025, there will be only two workers to support a single retiree on SS.
• When the SS system started in 1934, there were 135 workers per retiree
• 40% of baby boomers believe they will have to work til they drop
• Unfunded liabilities in SS and Medicare put us $126T in debt.
$1.1 million in liability for every single American tax payer
WHY SHOULD YOU CARE ABOUT RETIREMENT?
We are a bankrupt nation. What does that mean?
1. We better start preparing to fend for ourselves.
2. We better start finding ways to retire tax free.
3. 2010 was the year Social Security outlays exceeded tax revenues
WHAT IS YOUR MESSAGE?
Do you see a message that can be shared with your client base?
Do you think it is important to warn your client
Do you feel an OBLIGATION to
your client base to talk about
WHAT IS THAT MESSAGE?
Let’s talk about your 401k’s and IRA’s.
Based on how upside down our economy is, do you think your taxes will:
Stay the same?
Go waaaaaaay up?
We are doomed.
DID YOU KNOW…
Our spending is out of control, our pension plans are broke, and our TAX
RATE IS NEARLY AS LOW AS IT HAS EVER BEEN? Does that make
sense to you?
Which direction do you think taxes MUST
GO in the coming years until we retire?
BAD NEWS ABOUT QUALIFIED INVESTING
401k’s will be taxed on your gains.
IRA’s will be taxed on your gains.
Mutual funds will be taxed on your gains.
Individual stocks will be taxed on your gains.
Bonds will be taxed on your gains.
At the worst possible time in your life!
At retirement: when you need them most!
At retirement: when you have very few deductions (home, school, business,
At retirement: when the money is worth more than when you put it in.
WHAT YOU’VE BEEN TOLD
Is an absolute LIE.
Qualified investments for retirement are an absolute disaster!
Time Magazine: Time to retire 401k’s
60 Minutes: Expose on the 401k fallout
CFO magazine: “401krisis… a crushing blow to retirement.”
401KS AND IRAS
Does it make sense to you to put money into your 401k and IRAs pre-tax
now, and paying the taxes on the gains your program makes?
Does it make sense to pay taxes during your retirement years when you
need it most?
Give that 80% of American investment is in 401ks, and a significant amount
is in IRAs, doesn’t it make sense to at least diversify your income?
“But 401k’s, IRA’s, Annuities, etc., are taxed at retirement.
There are no tax-free vehicles to invest in.”
WELL, THERE IS ONE
And only ONE.
It is called an indexed universal life policy, or IUL.
Financial people hate it because they don’t sell it, and the fees are typically
a quarter of what the financial guys charge you to so-call “manage”
It is an investment vehicle that allows you to get money at retirement—TAX
It is the ONLY investment vehicle that lets you grow your money TAX FREE
and not have to pay capital gains.
It also has a living benefit, much like a critical care and recover, or
intensive care policy, only on steroids.
It can also be passed from generation to generation, building growth the
whole way, tax free.
IT IS SECURE
It uses an index on a market, such as the S&P 500. But it is managed by
buying options on the S&P 500 (in our example), not investing the
principle. When the market is down, the IUL doesn’t lose money, it
simply flattens out. When the market is up, it goes up, but there is a
cap, such as 14%. On a year to year return over the last few decades, it
has grown by over 8% per year, but never lost money.
BACKED BY THE BIGGEST AND BEST
With Aflac, we are used to standing on the shoulders of the GIANT in the
voluntary benefits industry.
With Freedom Equity Group, we are also standing on the shoulders of the
GIANTS of the Universal Life industry:
National Life: Since 1900
ANICO: Since 1905
AGLA (AIG): 1915
Generations of experience, including weathering the Great Depression
HOW DOES INVESTMENT LIFE FIT WITH AFLAC
Is there any natural connection between Aflac and offering investment
quality life insurance?
• Major illness
• From generation
• Only tax free
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN AFLAC AND IULS
• Unlike Aflac, there are no rate sheets, it is run as individual illustrations
• It is a consultative sell—just like Term or Whole Life
• We sell what is suitable, affordable, and appropriate
• Most plans are available through payroll deduction, and some group rating is
possible. Plans are then portable, unlike many group term plans.
• It is not a revolving door product, but is a way to bond with a client.
• By knowing our client, it gives us more opportunity to sell more through viewing
the client’s entire need base, not just getting them into an accident program.
• There are medical exams done. (which there are with higher end Aflac life)
• We can exceed the $250 to $500k limits of insurance offerings, often needed
by our clients
WHAT ABOUT YOUR BRAND?
If you have a strong connection with your clients, you may want to consider
how you can still maintain your Aflac brand with your customers.
Partner with someone who can present and write policies for you.
Bring on staff to be the face of your retirement brand.
Start building a retirement brand—a whole-life circumstance brand
A natural fit with new parents with the Million Dollar Baby plan (MDB), and
Aflac’s renown baby package.
WHAT IS THE FINANCIAL OPPORTUNITY?
At a high level, more sales, higher per-individual AP
New, and faster commissions with
investment grade life
Those who will
Those who will protect
their income with Aflac
Those who cannot afford, nor will
TYPICAL SALES OPPORTUNITY
You get around 75% of the AP up front.
The average AP is $3k
Of 10 people, about half will be interested, and a total of 40% will buy.
A group of 10 people, with 4 participant at $3k will bring about $12k in
A group of 100 people, with 40 participants at $3k will bring about $120k in
10 groups of 100 people, with 400 participants at $3k will bring about $1.2m
WHO IS FREEDOM EQUITY GROUP?
FEG is the fastest growing sales force in the universal life industry.
FEG has been around since about 2005.
Formed by two leaders who build AL Williams (sold to Primerica) then
started over to create a better payment structure, and better training
Currently over 6,000 agents and growing quickly.
Team Synergy (our team) started just a year ago and has over 1,000 new
agents, many of whom are also Aflac agents, some are retired agents,
and many are agents from competitors. Consider the command and
control you have with your client base, and how FEG will help
Largest independent marketing group for the top two IUL companies in
America, and the second largest group with the third largest IUL
HOW DO YOU START?
Contact Mike Grigsby (541) 610-6375, or
We set up a writing number with Freedom Equity
Group, giving you nearly limitless resources to
educate yourself, plug into other successful
agents, track sales, submit business, and even
build a team if you like.
My job is to be your spiritual guide through adding
FEG to your Aflac business.
Let’s talk about team building for a moment.
Next, we have a process by which to contract with our
companies to begin selling their IUL, and other
insurance and annuity products. You can be
contracted with one of our major carriers within a
How many people have a 401k? The answer is 30% of Americans have a
401k. As you know, they have fallen out of favor due to terrible
performance, high fees, and a royal pain to employers, now straddled
with regulations, like ERISA.
What are the problems you face with voluntary products?
• Well, leading with voluntary benefits is a tough sell.
• Doesn’t have the mindshare that major medical has.
• More and more competitors entering the market space.
• Endless back and forth conversations with employers to get in the door.
• Sometimes sales are delayed months to sync with open enrollments.
What are the problems you face with selling life?
• It is something most people know they need, but tend to avoid.
• It is typically another expense, and often simply offsets money you might
make on an accident or illness plan
What are the advantages of selling a life plan?
• They stay on the books a long time.
• Most insurers pay the bulk of the first year AP up front.
• Chargebacks are very low on a life plan.
• Service work is nearly eliminated after the sale.
How does IUL change your conversation with employers?
Your introduction is about retirement plans, not ancillary insurance.
MOST LIKELY, the employer or management doesn’t have sufficient
retirement money, and will likely be your first client.
They KNOW how BADLY THEIR 401ks have performed.
Everybody will retire, but how well will they retire?
Makes the employer look good, that they care about their employees future.
Allows a better connection and sharing of information with employees.
Now you have a better sense of what the employees needs are, and can take
the time to craft a better plan for voluntary benefits and retirement mix.
What about your sales teams?
• Arm your agents with something important to talk to their
• Make those hard earned group sales count for more money.
• Non captive management can make substantial additional commissions on
• Non captive management can help introduce the retirement offering to
existing accounts, building more energy and excitement.
• Retain agents by providing better commissions.
• Retained agents mean better relationships with clients, and more ongoing
Why wouldn’t you leverage another product line to build more revenue for
yourself, keep your team happier, and your clients more engaged with
Aflac, than some other benefit company?