• They are at their best in areas having heavy rainfall with a short dry
season. The trees reach great heights up to 60 meters or even
• There is no definite time for trees to shed their leaves. As such, these
forests appear green all the year round.
D E C I D U O U S F O R E S T S
• They are also called the monsoon forests and spread over the region
receiving medium rainfall.
• Trees of this forest-type shed their leaves in dry summer.
M O N TA N E FORESTS
• The wet temperate type of forests are found between a height of 1000
and 2000 meters above sea level. At higher elevations, temperate
grasslands are common.
• In regions with less rainfall, the natural vegetation consists of thorny
trees and bushes.
• The stems are succulent to conserve water. Leaves are mostly thick
and small to minimize evaporation.
M AN G R OVE F O R ESTS
• Dense mangroves are the common varieties with roots of the
plants submerged under water.
• India has more than 89,000 of animal species.
• The country has more than 1200 species of birds. They constitute
13% of the world’s total.
• There are 2500 species of fish, which account for nearly 12% of
the world’s stock.
• India is the only country in the world that has both tigers and lions
L E T S L O O K I N T O W I L D L I F E
I N D I F F E R E N T T Y P E O F
V E G E TAT I O N
W I L D L I F E O F R A I N
F O R E S T
NATUAL VEGETATION AND WILDLIFE 7
W I L D L I F E O F
D E C I D U O U S F O R E S T