CIRCADIAN RHYTHM AND MY
SLEEP PATTERNBY FARAZ TAK
• As a medical student working in hospitals from 24 hours
shift disrupt my sleep pattern and circadian rhythm.
• working hours are from 7 am to next day 7 am.
• and when i come home i am very tired and sleep for very
• when i wake up i still feel tired. On next day working hours
are during day time 8am to 5pm, which again disrupt my
MY STORY AND NEUROSCIENCE
• Most of us sleep during
night and awake during the
• Normally during night time
melatonin is released which
makes us drowsy.
• In my case the melatonin
release is not much when i
am on 24 hours shift.
• This disrupt the sleep
ROLE OF MELATONIN ON SLEEP
• Melatonin is a hormone which is released when lights goes off
and naturally this happens during night time.
• This make us drowsy and fall asleep.
• Nowadays the life style change and innovation of artificial light
can disrupt the melatonin secretion.
• Sitting and working on laptops or watching television or artificial
light sources can effect the sleeping pattern due to disruption
to melatonin release. During night time when artificial lights are
on, brain cannot distinguish daylight and artificial light so the
production of melatonin is not sufficient.
TRICK YOUR BRAIN
• When I sleep during daytime I
limit the light coming into my
room and creating a dark
environment just like
• This will trick your brain and
gives you a sound sleep.
• By this now i am able to sleep
well and wake up refresh.