Operating System (OS)
• Base of the diagram (level 0).
• Can be any platform but typically is Microsoft
Windows or greater, accessed through the Win32
API (Application Programming Interface).
• Ex : Android, BSD, iOS, Linux, OS
X, QNX, Microsoft Windows,Windows Phone,
and IBM z/OS
Common Language Runtime (CLR)
• Level 1
• Enforces code and access security
• Provides type - checking
• Manages the execution of the.NET code
• Manages the memory, concurrency, security.
• Loads and executes code.
• Provides profiling & debugging.
Base Class Library (BCL)
• Level 2
• Rich object-oriented library with fundamental classes
• Used by all .NET Applications.
• Similar to Java System namespace.
• Has classes for IO, threading, database, text , graphics,
assembly generation, security, networking, collections.
ADO.NET, LINQ and XML
• Level 3
• Database access
• ADO.NET, LINQ, LINQ-to-SQL and Entity Framework
• Strong XML support
• Designed hand in hand with the XML classes.
• Support windows application
• A part of the BCL that is included with the Microsoft .Net
WCF and WWF
(Communication and Workflow Tier)
• Level 4
• Used to deploy data services on the Web or an intranet.
• Data deployed on this model is addressable by standard
• Microsoft technology that provieds API , in process
workflow engine and rehostable designer
• To implement long-running processes as flows within
User Interfaces Technologies
• Level 5
• For managed applications : Web based, Windows GUI,
WPF, Silverlight, mobile.
• Silverlight = platform for creating rich media applications
and business applications for the Web, desktop and mobile
• Level 6
• You can choose any language you want.
• Example : C#, C++, VB.Net, J#, F#, Jscript, Perl , Delhi