(an incomplete list)
• Compatibility with Docker
images (if standardizing or
desiring cross-cloud compat.)
• Dockerﬁles provide ﬂexible,
repeatable image building
• Global, multi-cloud image
• Layered images / builds
• Completeness of vision
Five major use cases
• Alternative form of virtualization for multi-tenant services!
• Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery:!
• Go from developer’s laptop, through automated test, to production, and through
scaling without modification!
• Scale-out/Big Data:!
• Rapidly scale same application across hundreds or thousands of servers…and scale
down as rapidly!
• Cross Cloud Deployment!
• Move the same application across multiple clouds (public, private, or hybrid) without
modification or noticeable delay!
• Granular, Loose Security Isolation:!
• Docker simplifies the separation of security concerns. Multiple processes of the same
“application” may run on a host, linked together, sharing resources but within separate
security contexts (SeLinux labels, Linux capabilities, Cgroups, etc)
Closer to the Docker workﬂow
Scheduled by backing cloud
Integration with other services
Nova features (quota, auth, etc…)
Abstraction layer for other hypervisors
Heat vs Nova!