What is a Reflective Analysis
• An analytical essay looking at HOW you intended to use micro features
to create an emotional reaction from your audience.
• You have 750 words to complete this task.
• It is worth 10 marks (1/5 of your Creative Project mark or the difference
between a grade)
Tips for a good Reflective Analysis
• Be concise!
• You only have 750 words, you don’t have the space to rewrite entire sections of your Step Outline.
• Refer to scenes by their numbers, and be concise with your examples.
• Explain HOW you wanted these micro features to illicit an emotional response.
• If there is sound (eg. Screaming) is this meant to comfort or terrify an audience member. Why?
• Don’t just focus on one element, use a range in your RA to show the breadth of your
• Make references to other films that have inspired you
• Has a film inspired your characters? Setting? Disaster?
• Give specific examples showing how.
• Use Maurice Yacowar’s theory
• This will show you have considered the conventions of a disaster film and have used/defied them
• Show how your setting/characters/disaster fit into this or counter it.
• You have until the 5th of January to complete your RA
• Start work on it as soon as you have finished your SO (due in on Friday)
• Make sure you are clear on what you need to do BEFORE you go away
for the holidays.