An Introduction to GLAM-Wiki Projects
by Shani Evenstein, National GLAM Projects Coordinator, Wikimedia Israel
pdf file of the presentation at the
EVA/Minerva Jerusalem International Conference on Digitisation of Culture,
Jerusalem, The Jerusalem Van Leer Institute, 12-13 November 2013
Presentations available at: http://2013.minervaisrael.org.il
By the People, For the People
• Created by the public, worldwide
• Maintained by the public, worldwide
• Supported by the public, worldwide
Giving Back and Reaching Out:
1 - Strengthen the weak: Outreach Projects
2 – Make the strong even stronger: Wiki in the
Academia & GLAM
1 – Outreach Wiki Projects
The most general goal:
to encourage the expansion of smaller language
Wikipedias through advice, encouragement,
and general assistance.
• Empowering the “global south” via access to free
• Preserving cultural knowledge on the verge of
2 – Wiki in the Eduction & GLAM
Quantity & Quality
“content improves with more people
involved. There are now 10.000 very active
editors. Many eyes checking and editing loads
of information. System mistakes are fixed by
So, we want universities, research centers,
professionals and specialists from different
areas to become part of the community,
sharing their experience. This will
automaticly improve the quality”.
Kul Wadhwa (UOC, Open University of Catalonia, 2010)
Wikimedia Head of Bussiness Developement
Collaborations with Educational
• “Campus Ambassador” projects
• More “expert” writers
• Writing articles as an academic assignment:
education the next generation
• A new, full academic wiki course!
What’s in it for GLAMs?
• It’s affordable (and usually free)
• E-volunteers from around the world
• More traffic back to your site
• A new platform to share your resources;
which often falls in line with your mission
• New energy to an often stale work in
• Challenges traditional GLAM practices
And.. the future is here, baby!
Comitted to collaborate
reaching the maximum audience
with the highest quality
- Free encyclopedia
- Most consulted in the world
- +250 active editions
- Expertise content
- All knowledge areas
Ways to Collaborate
Creating a “Wikipedian-in-Residence” program
Image & Media donation to Commons
Coordinating GLAM outreach events
Updating your Institution’s articles
Using Wikipedia QR codes
Sharing historical footage
Allowing Wikimedians to digitally restore images
Adding a Wikipedia citation template to your database
Improving and using Wikipedia articles for an exhibition
Improving the quality of OCR
Museums & Galleries
The Children’s Museum,
government of the
Public Art in
This is a worldwide movement;
And Israel has joined the party!
Israel Joins the Global Efforts!
• 09/2011 – “GLAM: Israel Museum, Jerusalem” Project
• 12/2011 – “GLAM: National Library of Israel” Project
• 08/2012 – “GLAM: Library of Haifa University” Project
• 09/2012 – “GLAM: Wiki Loves Monuments” Contest
GLAM in Israel: Some Challenges
• Increasing “GLAM awareness” –
– within the Hebrew Wikipedia community
– within the general public: new editors
• Collaborating with more GLAMs & Academic world
• Smaller editing community
• Technical tools
• Lack of infrastructure [WLM, Public Art]
Other / future collaborators
- Bezalel Academy of Art and Design
- Israel State Archives ?
- Museum of Jewish Diaspora ?
- The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra ?
- The Israeli Opera ?
- The Haifa Museums ?
- The Israeli Museum Portal ?
- 10/2013 – “GLAM: Shenkar”!
- 12/2014 - GLAM-Holon