Ideas for improving the ability of computer science students in obtaining high quality jobs
Ideas for improving the ability of Computer Science students in obtaining high quality jobs
in the community ,business and in industry.
Luis Eugenio Bravo Soza
1. Generation of Ideas
1. Improve curricula by reviewing all courses with outside people from the industry.
2. Include a board of directors at CS department with directors from the industry.
3. Increase the number and length of summer practice of students in the community.
4. Include Industry project proposals for software engineering course.
5. Include an open platform(like coursera) where University and Industry can interact.
6. Include some functionalities so students can interchange ideas with community
7. Develop an e-news letter describing interesting problems from the pint of view of
the industry .
8. Youtube videos from the point of view of the industry and communities leaders.
9. Grants (from the industry) for research problems on special matters.
10. CS professor work on sabbatical(6 months) in the industry.
11. Top managers work at the university for 6 months giving talks and conducting
12. Student Final projects could work on deal with industry problems.
13.Project proposal by the community and industry.
14.Open seminar on interesting projects and problems proposal from the communities.
15.Credit student seminar at the industry(4 weeks) for identify interesting problems in
the communities or industry site.
16.Industry Leaders talk at the University site.
17.Engagement of the University Computer Science department with a network of
institutions where managers and leaders have some compromise of accepting
students in their work placement.
18.Students technology tours in Chinese industries or other countries.
19.Student interchange with other universities in the same country or other countries.
20. Price rewards for the best problem solutions in a particular field.
21.Establish Industry labs in the universities.
22.Special financing from the industry for the development of an area problem.
23.Open a list of internal area problems where the student could work and obtain some
money and practice.
24.Software industry offers training courses on their technologies for some curricula
25.Use labs at the industry site and vice versa.
26.Student as workers in labour duties at packing fruits, body car shops, hardware
shops and other places where students can analyse be first hand real problems
where they can contribute with new proposals for solutions.
27.Summer work in Robotic laboratories as labour workers where the help senior
engineers in designing and assemble complex machines.
28.Astronomy camps. Many observatories-like Alma in Chile- need maintainers of
software, documenters, and small improvements that can be made by new
29.Create “Open Projects” like a new platform for a general problem like a knowledge
management system for documents. So students and researchers collaborate
improving and programming new functionalities.
30.A network of mentors for guiding new software engineers looking for some research
and development action.
Step 2 - Idea Selection
1. Include a board of director at the CS department with directors from the industry
It very important that the curriculum of a CS student is well focused on the real
need of competence that student must have after finishing their studies. So the
participation of leaders and IT managers from the industry and community could
help in developing a strategic plan for the CS department in terms of lines of
research , strategic developments and technologies that should be taught in the
2. CS professor work on sabbatical(6 month) at the industry.
Working and in the local industry is a very rich experience for someone that is
lecturing and studying all day long. It´s very important not to lose contact with the
reality and knowing know the topics/contents that we teach at university are.
. During the sabbatical period the professor must conceive a new project useful for the
company where he is working. In the near future the project could be done by the students
of the CS department.
3. Engagement of the University Computer Science department with a network
of institutions where managers and leaders have some compromise of
accepting students on work placement.
This is a very interesting idea copied from the open source movement. The
development of useful industry software for an industry, a hospital, or any other
institution is a very big inversion on effort and money. Most institution can not
afford this enterprise, but as a consortium of companies they may be able to.. There are
many examples where these “open consortium did work. There are many examples ,
such as Linux, Mozila, Apache and many others. If many companies design a new
software, for example for e-commerce- maybe with a network of developers and
supporters and universities you accomplish good and useful software generating a
solution for the industry and generating lots of knowledge and experience for young