What is CSCOPE?• Guaranteed and viable curriculum represented by a common language, structure, and process• TEKS-Based Curriculum System• TEKS aligned from 12-K perspective• Ensures all TEKS are taught in the course of a school year• Clarified TEKS by adding specificity• Developed based on current research• Created by TESCCC-Texas Education Service Center Curriculum Collaborative
• CSCOPE is an aligned curriculum system.• Not a textbook nor a program.• Not just a resource.• The curriculum system can be customized to meet a district’s individual needs.
• Defines expectations by grade level• Tracks the depth and complexity of a standard through grade levels• Identifies Readiness and Supporting Standards• Assists in identifying potential gaps of student understanding.• Provides an opportunity for more targeted intervention.• Allows teachers to evaluate their lessons• Provides the most current information from state released materials Revised 12/17/12
• Course and grade level specific• Snapshot of which TEKS are taught each six or nine week time period• Both direct teach TEKS and process TEKS noted • An SE may not be taught in its entirety during a six weeks.• TEKS Verification Matrix is only valid if a district follows the CSCOPE sequence of the IFD. Revised 12/17/12
• Recommends sequence and bundling of TEKS into units of instruction.• Organizes units of instruction by six or nine weeks.• Ensures standards are taught before the state assessment.• Align to district/campus calendar. – Reconcile district/campus calendar to the YAG –instructional days vs. non-instructional days Revised 12/17/12
• Provides a rationale for bundling of the TEKS.• Anchors instruction-focus on TEKS during teacher planning time.• Indicates the TEKS and the specificity that will be addressed in the instructional unit.• Ensures learning to performance indicators.• Provides Concepts and Key Understandings (Big Ideas) for student expectations. The IFD provides a solid foundation for planning instruction! Revised 12/17/12
Rationale Paragraph #1:Explains how the TEKS are bundled in this unit. Rationale Paragraph #2:Explains the prior knowledge and goal of this unit. Rationale Paragraph #3: (Optional) May include instructional notes or reminders. Rationale Paragraph #4: (Optional) May cite relevant research or national standards.
Performance Indicators:• Evidence of student attainment of, and/or progression toward an identified standard(s).Unit Tests:• Assess the specified student expectations as noted on the Instructional Focus Document. Revised 12/17/12
• Give teachers examples of best practice instruction and high levels of rigor.• Allow for integration of district developed materials and state textbooks.• Help build teacher background knowledge to teach new standards.• Help ensure that learning is accurate for the current grade level and beyond. Revised 12/17/12