From Scarcity to Abundance of learning resources: Ariadne and the Snowflake Effect
From Scarcity to Abundance
of learning resources:
the Snowflake Effect
Stakeholder AgLR-TF, Budapest, Hungary, 6 November 2009
K.U.Leuven & ARIADNE & IEEE LTSC
Thanks - merci - gracias -
for the invitation !
• content: anything digital
• metadata: LOM
• minimal application proﬁle
• harvesting: OAI-PMH
• open target with all metadata from all
• federated search: SQI
• registry: LODE
Sure, there are a lot of problems remaining...
identity (people, content), dis-/re-aggregation,
IPR & copyright, packaging & format, user
tracking, vocabularies, and many more
But we are not making full use of what we have!
“Better problem”: abundance
but still a problem...
• not only because all learning is personal
• and should be “just right”
• also because we are moving to abundance
loads of good examples in music
iTunes Genius, last.fm, pandora.com, tunify.com, blip.fm,
deezer.com, grooveshark.com, muﬁn.com, yamelo.com,
jango.com, imeem.com, musicmesh.net, jiwa.fm, ...
and many many many many more
snowﬂake in music...
nice bootstrapping, too!
We do NOT (need to) understand how music works!
Context-aware Recommendation for Learning
• make infrastructures interconnect globally
• ariadne, globe, standards
• please join!
• create abundance as motor for innovation
• then focus on user experience
• personal, snowﬂake
• turns problem of abundance into solution
• learn from your users