• Design passive residential complex(PRC) using
green building codes and architecture itself to
reduce greenhouse gases (GHGs).
• More than 1/2 of all GHG emissions in world
come from building operations
• Our target is to design GHG neutral residential
complex using carbon-neutral measures in areas
such as lighting and heating technologies.
• Passive design elements, when evaluated in
terms of relative cost and effectiveness.
• Reduces a building’s energy demand by as
much as 50 percent.
• It also helps us in creating a more sustainable
architectural form across the city.
• Passive design refers to an approach that
discourages reliance on mechanical systems for
heating, cooling and lighting.
• Instead harnesses naturally phenomenon such
as the sun, wind and other climatic effects
• It maintains consistent indoor temperature and
• It can help to reduce or even eliminate utility
• Improves the comfort and quality of the interior
• Reduces GHG emissions associated with heating,
cooling, mechanical ventilation and lighting.
• High level of insulation with minimal thermal
• High level of utilization of solar and internal gain
• High level of air tightness
• Good indoor air quality
• Non-mechanical ventilation system with highly
efficient heat recovery
Core strategies of Passive Design
Road Map to our Project
• Assessment of various guidelines of
IGBC, Griha, Leed, and other green building codes.
• Preparation of outline for the design & assessment
of various factor like sun chart, wind flow
• Preparation of layout of residential complex on
• Structural designing of residential buildings and
other structures using software STAAD-PRO.
• Analysis of structure under seismic loads and wind
load using STAAD-PRO.
• Computation of various details of reinforcements
• Facade designing(i.e. designing of glass windows
and doors) according to day lighting.
• Designing of passive lighting systems, heating &
cooling system, rain water harvesting system for
complex, temperature and sound insulation.
• BIM model analysis & 3-D rendering of residential
complex using software Google SKETCH-UP
• Cost Evaluation of Passive Residential complex.
• Evaluation of residential complex on the basis of
Griha and Leed.
Elements of residential complex
KEY FEATURES OF BUILDING
• It consists of solar photovoltaic cells for generation
• A solar water heater for supply of hot water which
is further used in household works as well as
generation of electricity.
• It also serve as a green house for urban farming ,
terrace is also used for growing food items and
waste water treatment.
2. Rain water harvesting system
• Rain water harvesting system is being installed in
• It collects the rain water and stores it into storage
tank for usage in purposes like irrigation, car
• Also a natural reed based treatment plant has
been setup for collecting and recycling of waste
3. The building is being designed in such a way that
it consist of large windows on three sides so that
maximum natural light can enter the building and
devices have been in order to allow only light to
Enter the building and not the radiation and heat.
4.Trees are placed strategically in order to ensure
maximum benefit, high trees are being placed
in east and west direction prevent direct
radiation and deciduous trees are being placed
in south direction to allow sunlight in winters.
5. Temperature Control
• Various techniques are being used in building
in order to maintain suitable temperature
according to season, and weather.
• A earth air tunnel is being installed which
gives hot air in cold weather and cold air in
• Also materials used in building are energy
efficient and takes time in heating or cooling
by action of weather.
6. Waste disposal
• Waste disposal is also taken into considerations,
first biodegradable and non- biodegradable waste is
• Then biodegradable waste is sent into vermin
composite tank, also the heat generated in process
is being used in the building.
7. Materials used in the construction are green
materials, cement consist of a good proportion of
fly-ash, also the un-earthen is being processed and
is made into use for various purposes, recycled
materials are being used in building wherever
Details of plan
• Each floor consists of four flats, two lifts and
• Gross area of each flat is 1200 sq ft.
• Built-up area of each flat is 1054 sq ft.
• Total area covered by each floor is 5381 sq ft.
• Each floor has 581 sq ft as common area.
Structural Designing of multi-storey
building in STAAD-PRO
Cost & Estimation
• Cost of Concrete = Rs 5154642.46
• Cost of Steel bar = Rs 3903562.5
• Cost of Brick Work = Rs 970702.4
• Cost of Plastering = Rs 700826.4
• Cost of Glass = Rs 350000
• Cost of Solar Panel = Rs 5250000
Total cost of Project=Rs 16,559,733.76