Riviera Advisors, Inc
– Spent 25+ years in staffing and recruiting
most recently leading recruiting at
– Led recruiting, staffing, and HR teams at
Digital Equipment Corporation and Blue
Cross/Blue Shield of Massachusetts
– Led consulting engagements for recruiting
process optimization and technology for
key corporate clients.
Based in Boston, Mass. USA
Welcome: Who are we?
– Boutique consulting firm that works with
organizations to improve and optimize their
internal recruiting and staffing function.
– Focused on improving processes and
recruiting professional, HR, and hiring
– We have worked all over the world to help
small to large organizations improve hiring
speed, cost, and quality while improving
and enhancing processes and internal and
Welcome: Who are we?
Over the last 8 years, we have partnered with outstanding
organizations to help companies start, reengineer, and optimize
recruiting and staffing
Welcome: Our Agenda Today
– Redeploying Your Recruiting Resources
Delivering internal Outplacement Services
Actively participating in Sales solutions
Supporting the company’s Marketing operations
Partnering with other HR initiatives
Initiating true Workforce Planning
Strategic Talent Pool Cultivation
(Internal) Outplacement Services
• Easy to Demonstrate ROI
• Create a virtual Career University
Use of the Internet
• Location Choice
• Vendor Assistance
(External) Outplacement Services
Take the same service offering you used Internally ---
AND TAKE IT ON THE ROAD!
• State Unemployment Offices
• Social Service Agencies
• College/Community College Placement Offices
• Social/Community Groups
(It may even have tax advantages!)
Maximize your team’s Sourcing/Research Capabilities
• Access your Sales Department’s CRM system
• Explore prospects with weak/limited background data
• Work up your own “D & B +” Data File (at no cost)
• Access Sales and Executive travel schedules
• Target Key Individuals at Clients/Prospects
• Create Individual Dossiers, (for “airplane reading”)
Top Grade your Recruiting Staff
Have you or Will you be faced with a Staff Reduction?
• Examine Contractor Roles First
• Perform a Performance-Based Ranking of all Staff
With Career Development as a Focus
To Be Prepared for any needed Reduction in Force
When was the last time you did a full department inventory
of training needs for each of the staff?
Might they be in need of training or refresher courses in:
Make total use of Inexpensive/Free Resources
Build a Talent Pool Pipeline
• Assess your past “Difficult to Fill” positions
• Design/Launch a new Branding Campaign targeting these
• Focus on longer range, strategic relationship building*
• Utilize newsletters, blogs, personalized e-mails, etc.
* Caution: Be very clear about purpose, and any current vs. future openings
Train the Hiring Managers
When was the last time you held “Selection Training” for
your hiring managers?
• You can buy “off the shelf” training packages, virtual or live, that can be
inexpensive and very effective
• With the talent you have in the recruiters, how tough would it be to build
your own interview training? After all, it’s something we do every day!
Internal Process Analysis
When the car is in the heat of the race, it’s tough to change
Now’s the perfect time to revisit your workflow processes in recruiting:
How long does it take for Reqs. to get approved?
Is your ATS use maximized?
Can you track the metrics you need to? What are you measuring?
How does your efficiency stack up against the competition?
Do you have any “Best Practices” in place?
Are you satisfied with your current Applicant Tracking System?
This may not be the best time to float an RFP to acquire a new system,
but there’s a lot that can probably be done with what you have:
When was the last audit you did on your database?
Have you worked with your vendor to remain current?
Can your vendor provide upgrades/customizations for little/no cost?
How current is your website? Any internal resources available to help you
It wouldn’t hurt to survey the marketplace for lower cost solutions in ATS
Special Project Work
Have you thought outside of the box lately on what talents
and skills your staff may have that may be transferable?
If you look around in side the company, are there any on-going projects you
could assist with?
• Newsletter/blog writing with the Marketing Dept.
• Career/Succession Planning
• Skills mapping of the employee population (for WFP)
• Community-based services
Assist HR in Core Services
Who was the first person most of your employees met
when they first connected with the company?
Given their knowledge of the employee population, and very often their own
personal experiences in other HR functions, could they be assisting in
• Employee Relations (which often take a beating during a down cycle)
• Salary Surveying/Planning
• Workforce Planning
• Strategic Research
Questions and Comments.
– If you have a question, please begin with your
name, position title and the company you work
If you have further questions, please feel
free to send me an email:
And Don’t Hesitate To Keep in Touch!
Riviera Advisors, Inc