Progress on the
Electronic Patient Record
In Scotland – June 2009
eHealth Clinical Lead (NMAHPs)
Approximately 150,000 NHS staff
2.57% NHS Budget spent on
Better Health Better Care
Improving Quality of
Our Vision for eHealth
“exploiting the power of
electronic information to help
ensure that patients get the
right care, involving the right
clinicians, at the right time, to
deliver the right outcome”
Better eHealth Better Care
NHS Scotland eHealth Strategy 2008
What will we get?
• Portal summary view of patient information
from multiple systems.
Patient Clinical Management
• Seamless access to source systems for
Dashboard Dashboard Dashboard
viewing and data entry.
Identity & Access Management (inc. Single Sign On) • Bring together data from range of sources.
How does it work?
SCI Gateway Process Management
• Web based portal accessible from any site.
Locator • Single sign on provides login to source
Integration Platform Service
• Source systems feed information stores
using unique patient ID Number.
ECS SCI Store CHI • Record locator knows the stores that
• The integration platform streamlines the
GP IT PMS Labs PACS Pharmacy Other retrieval of information from multiple
Inter relationship between
Clinical and Patient Portal
Features of patient portal
• Customisation and personal profile
• Self management tools
• Measurements and results
• Decision support
• Health, Disease and Treatment options
• Local support and services
• Appointments and prescriptions
• Access to health records
• Forums and peer support
• Telehealth and telemonitoring
•Need to co-ordinate potential
patient portal silos
•Personalised patient portal
clinical and patient portal
•Support shared decision
• making as part of care process
•Impact on role of nurses