Industry Conferences &
By Sandi Ohman
Career Services Office
Prepare for Success
Step 1- Research
Special Speakers bios
Presentations & Socials Available to Attend
Etiquette for Attending Conferences
– Search for Conference
Etiquette on Internet
Step 2 - Plan Your Strategy
• What events will you attend?
• Receptions & Socials, Professional Development
• Who do you want to meet?
• Company Reps, Special Speakers
• Set a Goal
• What do you wear for different events?
• Different Events require different outfits
• Overall Goal of Event
SWE & SHPE
• These are recruiting events
– If you are seeking an internship or job have
resumes for targeted companies
– Have an elevator speech prepared – self
• Take advantage of opportunities to interact
• Volunteer Opportunities!
• Do your research!
• This is NOT a recruiting event
– Have an elevator speech prepared for self
• Research companies attending & take
advantage of opportunities to interact with
– Ask about hiring, tips for applying
• Attend Student day and sessions
• Research Volunteer Opportunities – great
way to meet others!
• Padfolio or
– Resumes, Transcripts, Letters of
– Project Summary
sheets, Accomplishments, Certifications
– CSO website for more info
• Business cards
– Duplicating, QRC, LinkedIn
• Name Tags
Business Casual for most events/sessions
Wear suit(s) when talking to companies
Wear comfortable, but nice shoes
Ask for business cards and send thank
you/follow up letters/email – LinkedIn?
• Listen to what the recruiters/speakers say
and ask good questions
• Be respectful to speakers during sessions
• Forget the event begins in Daytona and doesn’t
have to end when you are back in Daytona
• Drink too much at events, on the airplane, or if
you go out
• Go unprepared, look or act unprofessional
• Grab goodies and run, do TALK to recruiters first
• Sleep during the sessions
• Use Cell Phones during sessions
What to Wear
Check conference website!
• Dress pants or skirt, Suit jacket (optional), dress
shirt, Cardigan sweater & shell
• Comfortable dress shoes, stockings if wearing skirt, belt
• Conservative makeup, perfume, and jewelry
• Keep clothing conservative, nothing too low or tight, or
What to Wear
Semi-Formal to Formal
• Cocktail dress (knee to tea length)
• Full-length formal gowns
• what travels better
– Dry cleaner bag trick!
• heel height for dress and comfort
You’ll get out of what you put