• There are no dumb ideas
• Don’t criticize other people’s ideas
• Build on other people’s ideas
• It’s about quantity, not quality
• Have a facilitator that enforces rules above
“ I believe that the hardest part of
software projects, the most common
source of project failure, is
communication with the customers
and users of that software ”
- Martin Fowler
What’s a user story?
• indicates the person who is seeking some
type of value from the software
• describes functionality that delivers that
• includes acceptance criteria that elaborates
on how the value is realized
As a ... In order to...
I want to ... As a...
So that ... I want to...
As a registered Barcamp Attendee
I want to choose the talks I’m attending
So that interested friends can see where I’m going
Valuable to users or customers
“ As the number of people on a project
increases, however, so does the number
of communication paths. It doesn’t
increase additively, as the number of
people increases, it increases
multiplicatively, proportional to the
square of the number of people.
- Steve McConnell
• Keep it simple
• Put it on paper before you put it into pixels
• Have conversations, don’t write huge
• Pay attention to process