To discuss the media and our relationships with it.
To set up and begin using blogs to record learning.
• Why did you choose Media Studies as one of your A-levels?
• What jobs might Media Studies help you work in?
• What do you already know about the course?
• What is ‘the media’ and how important is it?
Discuss these questions in pairs.
What is your experience of different
• New media
What can you do / not do?
OCR AS Media (This year’s work)
• All video + audio
material must be
• It is the opening titles
and scene of an entire
• Tasks may be done
individually or as a
• 20 marks planning &
• 60 marks
• 20 marks evaluation.
• Total /100 marks.
• Section 1 of 2hr Exam.
• ‘Unseen’ moving
• 30 mins of 2hrs for
viewing and making
• Analysis of camera
editing and sound.
• How social groups are
the media text.
• 50 marks awarded.
Film Institutions &
• Section 2 of 2hr Exam.
• One compulsory
questions based on a
case study of the film
• 50 marks awarded.
G322 KEY MEDIA CONCEPTS (TV DRAMA)
• What does my media profile
tell you about me?
• How might this itself (like
social media) be an edited
construction of the truth?
Your first directed study task
• You should put together a ‘My Media’ collage for
yourself and add it to your study blog.
• Write at least a paragraph explaining your use of
media and ability to create different media types
using computer software.
• You should then email me a link to your blog.
• How many of you keep/have kept a blog?
• What was it about?
• Which blogging website do you use? Why?
Setting up your blog
• Once you have set up your account and signed in to
Blogger – you will see this page.
• You are going to set up multiple blogs – 1 will be
your final production evaluation blog, 1 will be to
record your day to day learning.
Using the media studies blog
Make a note of this on
your mobile phones!!!
An exemplar blog
• Have a look around the posts for this AS Media
Studies blog. What ideas does it give you?
Emailing me work
• Open up your Outlook.
• Start composing a new email.
• Click on the To button to open up your distribution
• Search for ‘Larry Smith’.
• Send me an email with the name of your favourite
film as the subject line.
• Will be run on Mondays period 6 (15.10 – 16.10).
• This will be a fantastic opportunity for you to learn
and develop new practical skills and knowledge to
benefit AS Media in a relaxed environment.