Estimated Time: Hour and 45min.
Big Idea: Identity
Objectives 1. Students will use/ remember their new
learned skill of cursive writing, they will connect all letters and
spell the words correctly.
2. Students will be able to define and identity what the
words synonym and antonym mean.
3. Students will apply their new learned vocabulary words
to make a connection to their feelings about identity.
4. Students will use the knowledge they learned from the
fairytale the “ The Ugly Duckling” to assemble and arrange their
own Swan by the use of cutting, gluing, tracing, and writing.
Show Ugly Duckling
Video and Read Book
• Questions to Discuss after viewing:
• 1. What words can we use to describe how the duckling
feels when he is born?
• 2. What words can we use to express how he feels when
he finds other ducklings like him?
• 3. Introduce the definition of an Anonym and Synonym –
Make list with the class.
Create list of 5 words
that make them feel
ugly or different
Make a list of antonyms for
each of those words.
Pick 3 of the 5words
to use on the swan,
along with the 3
Write these 6 words
in cursive on
Cut out the 6 words.
Identity of the Swan
1. Identity can change, just like
2. Identity can be a search( the
had to search for his family
3. Identify can be about
insecurities( he was insecure
about his whack)
4. Identity can be about outside
beauty( the duckling was white
• Orange and black construction paper
• White construction
• Glue Stick
• Your own Hands
• Feathers (students color choice or real feathers)
• Check to make sure their word choices are indeed
antonyms of one another ✔ ✖
• Make sure they are spelling the words correctly and in
cursive ✔ ✖
• Check to see if they have picked words that invoke
meaning or ugliness or difference ✔ ✖
• Make sure the swan is composed of a plate, a neck, a
beak, straws, and six total words. ✔ ✖
• Disney video
• Ugly Duckling book by: Hans Christian Andersen
• www.freekidscrafts.com - Website with the swan art