ECOSS is Nonprofit based in South Seattle that Educates & empowers businesses and diverse communities to implement environmentally sustainable practices ECOSS leads industry, small businesses, communities and government to practical and sustainable environmental solutions Our international staff speak more than a dozen languages and work with Asian, Southeast Asian, Pacific Islander, African and Latino communities. More than two decades of experience and cultural depth make ECOSS a leader in multicultural environmental outreach and engagement
Language/Cultural Capacity is key Hire from communities served Engage via trusted people & places Understand needs, benefits and how to best communicate Influence and promote environmental attitudes and behavior change Communities are large and diverse, don’t assume that one approach fits all!
Targetted groups (community-specific outreach): Hispanic/Latino, Vietnamese, Somali, Ethiopian and Chinese Community between community members with note takers. tabling events, EV 101 Presentations, EV discussion facilitation.
Electrical Vehicle Outreach and Engagement - Jose Chi
Electrical Vehicle Outreach and Engagement
to Underserved and Diverse Communities
Impact Hub; Seattle, WA
May 2, 2018
Jose Chi Bertoni
Clean Energy (solar
The ECOSS Approach
• Language/Cultural Capacity is key
• Hire from communities served
• Engage via trusted people & places
• Understand needs, benefits and how to best
• Influence and promote environmental attitudes
and behavior change
• Communities are large and diverse, don’t assume
that one approach fits all!
ECOSS ECOSS Seattle
Electric Vehicle Outreach and Engagement
• Timeframe: April and May implementation; Final report due June 1st.
• Scope of work; Connect, educate, and gather feedback from
underserved communities, immigrants and refugees residents on EV’s
• Methodology: Written Surveys, oral discussion/conversations, data
• Focus groups: Reaching out to community leaders with groups that
have already been formed. EV 101 Presentations, EV discussion
facilitation, Survey completion.
• Education Sessions. Visiting groups in the community and raising
awareness on EV’s inviting them to attend our info sessions.
• Listening sessions: 2 listening sessions at least 60 community
members, electric vehicle showcase. Broader audience, open to the
• Tabling at different events in the community.
• Most of outreach events will be in MAY
• The most attended events will be the listening sessions
• The Final Report will be sent to FORTH on June 1st, 2018
• So far we have done two focus groups (Latino and Chinese
ECOSS Sample from 2 Focus group;
Their Questions/Concerns about EV’s
• Little almost no info on EV’s
• Cost and Access
• Battery; lifespan recycle, long term car depreciation
• Charging stations; cost, electricity bill
• Car sharing program
• Tax incentives to second owners.
Saturday May 19th 1pm-3pm
Mt. Baker Village apartments
2900 S. McClellan Street Seattle, WA 98144
Sunday May 20th 2pm-4pm
El Centro de La Raza
Centilia Cultural Center
2524 16th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144