How to E-Publish Your BookPresented by: Hans V. von Maltzahn Author of THE BLACK SUN ASCENDANT: An Assassins Tale
1. Remember to have apublishable manuscript ready! Does the book have all you want in it? Fully edited i.e. All spelling and grammer done? Is it as clean as it can possibly be?
2. Turn your manuscript into: An Adobe Reader document (i.e. PDF file: nameofbook.pdf) A Microsoft WORD & “THE BLACK SUN ASCENDANT: RichText doc (i.e. An Assassin’s Tale” nameofbook.doc A Novel by Hans V. von Maltzahn or nameofbk.rtf )
Note: to create an Acrobat (PDF) document...Open your Adobe Acrobat Reader (mine is Adobe Reader 9)• From the “File” pulldown menu choose: “Create Adobe PDF Using Acrobat.com• Or visit: http://www.adobe.com/go/reader9_create_pdf• Your WORD program may even have a conversion package in it (mine is OpenOffice with one button conversion).
Note!If you intend to publish your book through one of the self-publishing firms such as: I-Universe or Trafford Publishing Then they will take care of your e-book publishing needs for a fee. You need not stay for my presentation!
3. Get a free ISBN number!• Visit the Canadian ISBN Service System (CISS) at: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/ciss-ssci/index-e.html• Read the introduction and instructions on how to join CISS , then fill out the online application at the above address.• No internet access? Call CISS at: 1-866-578-7777 (select 1+7+3). ISBN numbers are issued within 10 days.
4. Copyright your work!• Visit the governments website for information about how to copyright your book: www.cipo.ic.gc.ca• Read “A Guide to Copyright” then follow the steps to fill out the form on-line (or print out the form, fill it in manually).• Problems? Call: 1-866-997-1936 or email email@example.com
5. Do I Need CIP Data?This is what “Catalogue In Publication” (CIP) data looks like:NAME (S): von Maltzahn, Hans V. (Hans Victor), 1965-TITLE (S): The black sun ascendant: an assassins tale: a novel /By Hans V. Von MaltzahnPUBLISHER: Mississauga, Ont.: Hans V. Von Maltzahn, 2011SERIES: The black sun series; bk. 1NUMBERS: Canadiana: 20119006456 ISBN: 9780986793301 : $19.95 CLASSIFICATION: PS8643 054 B53 2011 C813/.6 22
Why CIP Data? Libraries use “Catalogue In Publication” (CIP) data to order and catalogue the books in their library. Libraries will usually only order books, real or e-books, if theyve got CIP codes that the library can use. Your book can also be listed on the governments North American book catalogue the “New Book Service”
For CIP Info and Form:Website: www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/cip/index-e.htmlEmail: firstname.lastname@example.orgToll free number in Canada: 1-866-578-7777Fax: 819-997-7517
6. Make Your Cover In JPG Format! Have your cover ready in JPG (an image) format so that you can up load it to the e- book distributor of your choice.
7. Two E-book Publishers That Ive Used. Amazon.coms Kindle Publishing: Visit http://amazon.com and read Kindle Publishing information. Sign-up as a Kindle Publishing member, then fill out their form, up load your PDF book file and JPG cover and youre done! https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin After a few weeks Amazon will have set up your account and your book is on sale worldwide!
Heres the second e- publisher... Join Smashwords at: http://www.smaswords.com/signup Download their “Style Guide” at: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52 Follow their guides instructions very carefully to re-format your manuscript into a plain text document. It might take a few months to upload an acceptable copy to them - but Smashwords distribution network is worldwide & extensive!
8. There Are Others You Can Try! Try an internet search on e-book publishers, e-book self-publishing and e-book distributors. There are hundreds of choices, of which thetwo above are only a sample. All will essentially ask you for either a WORDor PDF copy of your manuscript, and then theyconvert your book. I wont go into the different formats of e-books(See Smashwords Style Guide for an very goodexplanation).