“Establishing a healthy,
effective and proactive
relationship with your
What it is NOT….What it is….
• Establishing and maintaining a healthy and
open relationship with your boss
• Anticipating your bosses reaction and
• Expressing how you work best
• Constructively giving feedback and
criticism when needed
• Something to only be used when you want a
• Being untrue to your own style
• Flattering your boss
Myth: Managing up is only
needed when your boss stinks
When to do it?
• ALL THE TIME!
• Promote yourself, your interests, and your work
• More information allows your boss to effectively have your back when needed
• Your needs and careers goals change
• You want to do a good job
• You can learn from it - it helps you get what you want faster and easier
• Will help you become a better manger yourself
Tips and How To Deal - (C&A Work!)
• Observe and listen first
• Find behavioral or work patterns
• Find those blind spots! (yours and theirs)
• Learn to say “I need” (productively) Know yourself first!
• Help them - managers don’t know everything!
• Be patient and learn to flex your style
• Get comfortable with discomfort
• Manage Up-Up