One of the most overused phrases in businesses today is that “our people are our greatest asset." However when it comes to small businesses in particular, hiring is often the first area to suffer.
In this presentation from Paul Slezak co-founder for RecruitLoop (www.recruitloop.com) and Early Growth Financial Services (www.earlygrowthfinancialservices.com) you'll learn:
- what really makes a proper job description
- how to craft an engaging job ad that attracts the right candidates
- the 5 interview questions you must ask
- how to use performance based interview questions
- and how to really distinguish between a candidate's skills and competencies
We offer outsourced financial services to small to mid-sized companies Accounting, CFO, tax, valuation 350+ successful, venture-backed clients nationwide across all industries Ancillary value – connect you to our network of investors, give fundraising advice, etc.
Hiring Strategies for Small Businesses
“Startups face a huge burden in today’s
economy, often having to choose
between funneling resources toward
creating their goods and services or
managing the often complex
accounting, tax and financial strategy
planning necessary to run a successful
~ David Ehrenberg,
Founder and CEO
Early Growth Financial Services
RecruitLoop is a global marketplace of
independent recruiters and sourcers,
working on-demand by the hour
connecting employers of all sizes with
experienced recruiters, who can help
with any part of the hiring process –
typically with 80% cost savings compared
to traditional recruitment.
What’s in store…
• How to attract talent
• Job descriptions vs performance profiles
• Skills vs competencies
• Crafting the perfect job ad
• Performance-based interviewing
• Critical interview questions
• Reference checks
• What are you really looking for?
• What exactly will your new team
member be doing?
Job Descriptions vs Performance Profiles
• What does success mean?
• Core objectives
• You’re not just looking for
skills, but for natural traits
• Your performance profile is
your tool to use
throughout the hiring
process, from interviewing
management Xwww.recruitloop.com www.earlygrowthfinancialservices.com
• Skills can be taught
• Competencies are
traits that make
someone right for your
• Especially important as
your company grows…
Crafting The Perfect Job Ad
• Attract the right
• Strong headline
• Define perfect
candidates in terms of
• Link performance profile
into job ad
• Perks – what else makes
your organization stand
• Use keywords effectively
Performance based interviewing
AKA Behavioral based interviewing, targeted selection
•No hypothetical questions!
•Questions must direct candidate
straight back to past
performance: past performance
is best predictor of future
S - Situation
T - Task
A - Action
R - Result
The 5 most critical interview questions
1. Why are you sitting in front of me today?
2. What are you really looking for in your next position?
3. Who else is really involved in your decision making
4. What salary are you on now? And what are you looking
5. How will you manager react when you hand in your notice?
Why you MUST conduct 2 reference checks
• Relate back to performance profile
• Target questions around your specific job
• Align with your interview guide
• Ask about past situations
Would you re-employ this candidate?
To find your “needle in a haystack,”
use your performance profile to stitch together the pieces
of your cohesive hiring strategy.
Early Growth Financial Services
Follow us @EarlyGrowthFS
@Paul_Slezak / @RecruitLoop