What is Apereo?
● Membership Organization
● Legal: New Jersey 501.c.3
● Elected Board of Directors
● Global Membership + Partnership ESUP-Portail in France.
● Reduce the overhead of collaboration.
● Manage collective intellectual property.
● Provide shared services that reduce friction.
… to assist and facilitate educational organizations which
“collaborate to foster, develop, and sustain open technologies
and innovation to support learning, teaching, and research."
Why Open Source?
● Upgrade paths
● Support options & portability = CHOICE
● Innovation & Collaboration
Why an open platform?
● Neutral and unbundled.
● Flexibility and choice of components.
○ Example: Jisc UK national analytics service
● Prepared for future development
● Open source, open standards, open algorithms
Apereo Foundation - Openness
Learning Analytics today
Defined as “the measurement, collection,
analysis and reporting of data about learners and
their contexts, for purposes of understanding
and optimising learning and the environments in
which it occurs.”
Focused on the student and their learning
Primary audiences are students and instructors.
Data: Demographics, grades, course outcomes,
behaviors, LMS engagement, click paths, time on
Strategic drivers: Retention, graduation,
employability, “Student Success”
Defined as a process for providing educational
institutions with the data necessary to support
operational and financial decision making.
Focused on the business of the institution.
Primary audience is institutional
Data: Demographics, course enrollment, course
outcomes, course and instructor evaluations,
Strategic drivers: Improve content, improve
course effectiveness, improve services and
Apereo Foundation - Open Analytics Platform
Goals of an open analytics
It should support:
● Collection and Storage of a
variety of data
● Usage of data for analytics,
reporting and visualization.
● Interoperability through Open
● Use of Open Software, Models
and Processes where
Apereo Learning Analytics Initiative
● OpenLRW (Event collection & Storage).
● OpenDashboard (Visualization & Reporting)
● Student Success Plan (Intervention & case management)
● Learning Analytics Processor (Data analysis). Dropped from LAI.
● Open Source Notifications Platform - University of Edinburgh
Learning Record Store - OpenLRW (MATTHEWS)
A Standards-based learning record store warehouse with support for learning event and
● Java 8 / Spring boot
● IMS Caliper
● IMS OneRoster
Currently under INCUBATION, is most likely to exit incubation first.
A web application that provides a framework for displaying visualizations and is accessible
via IMS LTI.
● Java 8 / Spring boot
Currently under INCUBATION.
Project updates on the Learning Record Store Warehouse
● No longer just an LRS; Includes SIS data (Supports IMS OneRoster).
● Consolidated backend to just MongoDB.
● Traditional and AWS-centric options.
● Stability & process improvements.
● Continue development of xAPI to Caliper mapping.
● Improve API querying and filtering support.
● AWS-centric option.
Project updates on OpenDashboard
● Student pulse.
● Administration user interface.
● Improve look & feel
○ Administration user interface.
● Separate client into standalone package.
● Separate admin into standalone package.
Student Success Plan overview
● Case management system/intervention.
● Support for internationalization.
● Communication platform for advisors.
SSP as a Learning Analytics Component.
● Intervention model of Analytics
● Tool provider sends learning event to the LRS.
● Data is analyzed, students are classified based on historical results of similar
● Early Alert in SSP for “at risk” students.
● More integration with Analytics
● More internationalization as it becomes needed.
● Amazon EC2 and RDS solutions stamped and made available
● Analytics Reporting / Dashboards.
Project updates on Learning Analytics Processor Update
● Apache Hadoop ecosystem already provides much of what was envisioned for
● A dormant project which will likely be discontinued.
Open Source Notifications Platform
The University of Edinburgh is developing an open source notifications platform for
higher education, work in progress.
● Is not under the Learning Analytics Initiative but suits really fine.
● The Notifications Backbone
○ An enterprise-wide notification system which:
■ Securely imports, store and distributes notifications
■ Integrates with
● key sources of notifications (publishers)
● the most popular receiving mediums (subscribers)
○ Provides a UI for service management and support
○ Potentially gives users choice of receiving mediums
○ Communication platform for advisors.
Currently they are looking for partners, collaboration and engagement to make it
● University of Notre Dame.
○ 12K+ students = 20M events
○ Predictive analytics - early alert objectives
● University of Michigan.
● North Carolina State
○ 34K+ students = 30M events
○ Predictive analytics - modified marist model
○ Student risk scores within 2 weeks of start.
● French ministry of Education - U. Lorraine.
The year ahead
● Expand the student pulse.
● Develop integrations with LMSs / SISs (Data Loaders)
Feel free to be part of Apereo!
● Apereo website: https://www.apereo.org/
● Apereo LAI: https://www.apereo.org/communities/learning-analytics-initiative
● Projects source: https://github.com/Apereo-Learning-Analytics-Initiative
● LAI lists:
○ Analytics: analytics[at]apereo.org
ENTORNOS DE FORMACIÓN S.L
Entornos de Formación makes knowledge transfer and training easier through
the use of information technologies in educational businesses and institutions
throughout 5 continents.
We rely on a qualified professional team devoted to the management of our
client's educational technology and training methodologies, with experience
We work mainly in 4 large areas: Educational technology, digital content,
consultancy, and support.
Apereo Commercial Affiliate > 30 deployments
Thank you so much
Special thanks to:
● Ian Dolphin - Apereo Foundation.
● Patt Miller & Xiaojing Duan - University of Notre Dame.
● Linda Feng & Gary Gilbert - UNICON
● Martin Morrey - University of Edinburgh