Well, it depends...
First year law student
Teacher of “Applied Maths”
Vice Dean of the School of Medicine
Minister of Education
Suggest educational pathways after completing a law degree
Assess students performance in “Applied Maths”
Identify teachers whose students perform best in the School
Evaluate child's reading level in Spain
Rich reporting is awesome for research and data
… but not necessarily for most final users.
Largest amount of information in the most concise
Interventions and actions required by users of the
system's users in the center.
1) Reliable framewok to assess students
performance through educational videogames.
2) All data and information collected by the
framework could be shared with others.
1) The great variability in videogames
Mechanics, genre, aesthetics...
2) Lack of public research in Game Analytics.
Far less in Game Learning Analytics
Public research mostly focused in monetization.
Quests: the current goal of the player, the next
thing he needs to accomplish to advance in the
Zones, areas, levels...: a virtual area in which the
player can enter or exit
Variables: a variable with a meaningful weight
inside the game
Choices: a set of options offered to the player,
usually with different consequences
Piece of data representing an event in the game.
Player action Event Target Value
Gameplay started start Empty Empty
Gameplay ended end Empty Empty
Entered in a zone. Implicitily,
exits any previous zone
zone Empty Zone identifier
Variable value updated var Variable name New variable value
Quest started quest_started Quest id Empty
Quest finished quest_finished Quest id Quest result
Selected an option in a
choice Choice id Option id
"quests_finished": ["quest1", "quest2"],
"quests_started": ["quest3", "quest4"],
Built in real time... (with Apache Storm)
Server holds gameplay state for each indivdual player
– Overall performance of the player
– General progress in the game. How long until the player is done
with the simulation
– Gameplay state in an undesired condition
– Might need instructor intervention
Gameplays are the base for assessment. In our
xAPI for tracking gameplays
John Doe updated variable score to 100
xAPI transmiting results
John Doe completed Lost in Space Game with 10
● General Game Model to define games in a
● Analysis over game states represented as an
aggregation of traces
● Simple visualizations, focused on actions
● xAPI as communication standard