The Two Series #4: Foundations and the Secret Life - Bruce McCallum - 1 March 2020
Matthew 7:24-28 (NIV)
"Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts
them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the
rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds
blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it
had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these
words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a
foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down,
the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that
house, and it fell with a great crash." 28 When Jesus had finished
saying these things, the crowds were amazed at His teaching
1. Dig deep! Build a secret life
Luke 6:48 (NIV)
He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid
the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck
that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.
How do you build a secret life with Jesus?
Jesus uses the 3 pillars of Jewish piety:
• Giving / Tithing – to open the heavens above us
• Prayer - to hear God speak to us
• Fasting – to feast on His Word instead of food
“a continuous struggle to accomplish more things and
participate in more events in less time, frequently in the face of
opposition, real or imagined, from other people “
How do you know if you suffer from hurry sickness?
• Speeding up
• SIGH a lot
• Nod more often to encourage the person to
• You chafe when you have to wait
• Sunset fatigue
• Love impaired
3. Mission clarity for your life
Matthew 28:19 (NIV)
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, …
4. If your house has collapsed - remember:
THE CALL IS GREATER THAN THE FALL
5. Live with eternity in your heart
Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NKJV)
He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put
eternity in their hearts, …
John 14:1-2 (NKJV)
"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also
in Me. 2 In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not
so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
2 Corinthians 4:17-18 (NIV)
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an
eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not
on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is
temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
WHO MAKE DISCIPLES
THAT ARE MAKING DISCIPLES.
What is a disciple?
• Week 1 - Definition of a disciple: “hear the voice of God and put
it into practice”
• Week 2 - Zoomed into “hear these words of mine” Key message:
Hear God’s voice for yourself.
• Week 3 – Zoomed into “puts them into practice” Key message:
What one action can you take today to show your obedience to
• Week 4 - Build solid foundations so your faith stays strong