Leadership Team Meeting
School Focus: ELA
Cluster Focus: Building Vocabulary
April 21, 2013
By the end of the LT meeting, the
Leadership team will have chosen a
Learning Game to teach vocabulary in a
lesson for the purpose of field testing in
the upper grades to increase student
Our students’ identified need is Vocabulary;
The Leadership Team needs to be in
consensus of what constitutes effective use
of Learning Games Strategies.
The Six Steps for Teaching Vocabulary
• The teacher explains a new word — going beyond reciting its
• Students restate or explain the new word in their own words.
• Students create a nonlinguistic representation of the word.
• Students engage in activities to deepen their knowledge of the new
• Students discuss the new word.
• Students play games to review new vocabulary.
The Leadership Team will be introduced to the
new vocabulary strategy, and how to use it
effectively. The Master Teacher will model the
game “The Hot Seat” used in the Primary Field
Test as a new chunk of Marzano’s Vocabulary
Visual Representation of
Turn and talk to your neighbor about
what this word means to you.
The Leadership Team will brainstorm
ways to use the specified Learning
Game in a lesson. Team members will
teach the strategy in their classrooms
and use the data to show how it
The Leadership Team will use the data
gathered to assist with Career Teachers in
Cluster Meetings and follow ups.