Common Sense Media Presentation to Woodward North Parent Community
It is a way of life!
Common Sense Certified School
● Social Media - How do our students navigate?
● Tools to empower them
● Redefine how they interact with technology
● Integrating this into their lives
● Engaging Parents
● Taking this seriously
HOW can Common Sense Media help me?
● Reviews of apps, video games, tech toys, movies, and
● Top picks/recommendations
● Family guides
● Current legislation
● Customizable device contract
● Device parental control information
● FAQ’s (Frequently asked parent questions)
Scope & Sequence: Common Sense K-12 Digital
Teach Lessons: Unit 1
1 - Rings of Responsibility
What kinds of responsibilities does a good digital citizen have?
2 - Private and Personal Information
How can you protect yourself from online identity theft?
3 - The Power of Words
What should you do when someone uses mean or scary language on the Internet?
4 - The Key to Keywords
Which keywords will give you the best search results?
5 - Whose Is It, Anyway?
How can you show respect for other people's work?
Set clear expectations.
Have the conversation, and set ground rules.
Common Sense Media:
Sanity, not Censorship
● Limit time.
● Check web history, messages, and social media profiles.
● Caution them about sharing information.
13 is the magic
Mobile Phone Resources
Find my iPhone: GPS & Apple ID
Track My Android: Google!
Providers offer parental controls:
● AT&T: SmartLimits
● Verizon: Family Safeguard & Controls
● Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.
Teensafe.com - $14.95/month Image Source
● Mac: System Settings > Parental Controls
● Windows: User Accounts > Family Safety Control Panel
● NetNanny.com - 5 devices, $60/month
● PureSight.com - 5 devices, $50/month
Home Internet Filters:
● Circle by Disney - https://meetcircle.com/ One time cost: $89